General Election 2024....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Reading around the chip

D

Deleted member 159

And what if the world has moved on and the deficit is way more than it seemed then?

The labour government signed off the OBR just before the election. They had all the figures then, never made a squeak about a deficit.

Labour have lied to you labour voters, you are all going to be paying far more to fund their plans.

Hope you have a nice little nest egg to weather the pain

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Have you just gone off that stupid video?

Probably.

The reality of the situation is that 850,000 people who are eligible to claim pension credit don't, for whatever reason. I don't understand why as it's essentially free money.

If they did make their claim, they'd be eligible for the fuel payment.

It's not even difficult to do, with plenty of help and support available.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
And what if the world has moved on and the deficit is way more than it seemed then?

True. I just wonder however why almost the first think Reeves did was to remove money from Pensioners, what happened to clamping down on tax dodgers, etc, which she droned on about before the election?

Mr Celine

The reality of the situation is that 850,000 people who are eligible to claim pension credit don't, for whatever reason.

It's not even difficult to do, with plenty of help and support available.
It's often a lot harder than it should be. Phone calls to make new claims go through a gatekeeper. If they think the claimant won't be entitled they refuse to even take an actual claim. They also refuse to speak to reps unless we're actually with the client, which in a large rural area is rarely possible.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
True. I just wonder however why almost the first think Reeves did was to remove money from Pensioners, what happened to clamping down on tax dodgers, etc, which she droned on about before the election?

'Pensioners' covers a huge range of people, many of whom are not struggling at all and to whom the Winter Fuel is a nice gift rather than a necessity (I am one), but there are also many pensioners not eligible for benefits but on basic pension, sometimes, with a pittance of a private pension, for whom the payment makes a huge difference to whether they are warm or cold in the worst of the winter.

This change was rushed through early in the Government's term because they know people will have short memories when it comes to the next GE and more time should have been given for deciding what should be a more suitable income level to remove it.

To answer your question, removing the Winter Fuel Payment is very simple compared to the rather more complicated clamping down on tax dodgers...and the poorer pensioners cannot afford lawyers and accountants to get around things.

ebikeerwidnes

Top Bottom