General Election 2024....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albion

Guru
That magic money tree of tax avoidance will apparantly pay for it.
If they mean the ultra rich, then the avoidance was by design. Most likely they will want to go for softer(none Tory) targets like works xmas lunches, the bike to work scheme, and those small savings incentives.

Not that the finance black hole allows for anything really.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
That magic money tree of tax avoidance will apparantly pay for it.
If they mean the ultra rich, then the avoidance was by design. Most likely they will want to go for softer(none Tory) targets like works xmas lunches, the bike to work scheme, and those small savings incentives.

Not that the finance black hole allows for anything really.

There must be billions to harvest. Labour are going to fix Britain with no increase in Income Tax or National Insurance (together the most significant tax source). It is an Election, they will promise anything. Those with no chance of possibly having to deliver (ie Lib Dems etc) will promise even more. Needless to say, little if anything will actually change, despite the slogan.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
During election campaigns, my own preference has always been to emphasize the positives and ignore negative campaigning.

But I seem to have lost the ability to bite my tongue, something which came easily before retirement.

Accordingly, I make the following of the Tory campaign policy set. To me it seems as if Sunak is saying, ''all available accommodation is taken up by immigrants at great cost to the state, we must overspend our budgets by sending them all to Rwanda; then and only then can we overspend some more by making an additional 30 000 teenagers homeless. This will be good for them.''

Instead, the money could be spent on safe routes for asylum seekers, a triage system for initial assessment, a rapid returns system for those who are economic migrants, and a second stage assessment for others within four weeks. I wouldn't be against Rwanda places for those who volunteer to take places with financial and other support for a couple of years to transition to a new life there.

As far as the new National Service plan is concerned. I say forget it, and if there is money available, give it to the FE colleges who are failing learners due to shortage of resource. The funding mechanism is a 'lag model' which is designed to reduce the ability of colleges to offer places.

I left school at the age of 16, went to college for one year full-time. After this I became an apprentice technician, attending college for a further three years on day release - nine in the morning until nine in the evening. We sat two written exams, technology, science & maths, and one additional exam of engineering drawing producing actual drawings from specs.

I later spent many years working as a lecturer in FE. I have witnessed terrible decline in the service, caused by government interference and micro-control, decline in pay and working conditions for lecturers., and great reduction of resource.

FE colleges are the places that skills and underpinning knowledge can be learned at craft level (the how) and at technician level (the why).

A so-called full-time college is in reality, two days per week. It used to be thirty hours per week and now colleges struggle with resources to provide fifteen.

As a country, in the midst of skill shortages, we need to fund our future, not with gimmickry, but with commitment for well-planned well-resourced, well-resourced long-term systems, of which the country and learners can take pride.

Can we bring back Polytechnics? Pretty please.

Reactions: C R

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I went to Northumbria Uni. Still gets referred to as The Poly around here!

I went there before it was even called a Poly(technic). Many a happy(?) hour doing day release and evening classes at the Bath Lane building. A whiff of hopps from the Newcastle Breweries just up the road, and, a cheap Chinese Restaurant at the bottom of the hill, heaven, for a working class lad (did I mention, my father was a welder in the shipyards, my mother was a school dinner lady) in the 1960s.

Edit: I forgot to mention, we lived in a Council House, didn't have to worry about the telephone bill, we didn't have a telephone ;)

Last edited:

monkers

Legendary Member
Can we bring back Polytechnics? Pretty please.

You mean if I was in charge? What a disaster that would be!

My short answer would be yes, but only as part of a plan to revise the whole system of the way we deliver higher education.

My long answer would bore you rigid.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
MRes in Chemistry and has taught all over the world so he can't be that much of an idiot though.

I'm taking the proverbial obviously, especially since what passes for the Heritage Parties manifesto is so wildly all over the place it's genuinely hilarious.

I've actually seen the guy who promoted the page around. Old fella, ex forces, hangs out with some biker types I'm vaguely acquainted with. Weird character.

multitool

MRes in Chemistry and has taught all over the world so he can't be that much of an idiot though.

Give me a half hour and I'll remember what it was that he said that was extraordinarily dim-witted, that got him ridiculed.

He may not be thick, it may just be a money-making venture. These fledgling right-wing political parties like Reform and The Heritage Party are unlike the mainstream parties in that they are actual businesses.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Give me a half hour and I'll remember what it was that he said that was extraordinarily dim-witted, that got him ridiculed.

He may not be thick, it may just be a money-making venture. These fledgling right-wing political parties like Reform and The Heritage Party are unlike the mainstream parties in that they are actual businesses.

He's said plenty of stupid things, there's not really any need to bother.

One that stood out was him getting the idea of 15 minutes towns/cities totally wrong.

Top Bottom