General Election 2024....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
And Foxhunting with real foxes... and rickets....

ahh! the good old days, we could bring back polio, diphtheria, scarlet fever, I see hooping cough is already making a comeback, who needs these new fangled diseases like Covid?

no problem with junk food then, a slice of white bread, with jam on it, and, maybe a sprinkle of sugar, if the da had a half-shift in

no tablets and mobile phones, children used their imagination, home made bows and arrows, bogies from an old set of pram wheels (provided you didn't have to use the pram to go coal picking on the pit-heap), cricket tournaments with an old tennis ball and wickets chalked on the wall, bays (educational, you had to count to 9) ........ I will have to go and have a lie down, I am coming on all nostalgic.

Times were great, back then. :laugh:

albion

Guru
There must be billions to harvest. Labour are going to fix Britain with no increase in Income Tax or National Insurance (together the most significant tax source). It is an Election, they will promise anything. Those with no chance of possibly having to deliver (ie Lib Dems etc) will promise even more. Needless to say, little if anything will actually change, despite the slogan.

That new national energy company promised is going to benefit from the use of that new wonder engine, the procrastination drive.

BoldonLad

That new national energy company promised is going to benefit from the use of that new wonder engine, the procrastination drive.

They could just put the person who ran Robin Hood Energy in post as CEO, it will be running (out of money) in no time at all.

stowie

I see the Tories have now pledged to move pensioner tax brackets to stop them falling into the fiscal drag created by the government not increasing tax allowance limits in line with inflation or wage growth.

If I were being cynical, I might conclude that this was a move to try to shore up the pensioner vote since that appears to be the only demographic likely to vote for the Tories.

Conservative pensions person was on Politics Live trying to defend the policy in light of every other person who isn't a pensioner will still fall into increased taxation for the same reasons.

Presenter : "So, whilst pensioners will escape fiscal drag, anyone else of working age will still be affected whilst also paying for this tax change"
Tory pensions person : "Yes"
Presenter : "Does that sound fair?"
Tory pensions person : "fark 'em. They aren't going to vote for me so they can kiss my hairy arse".

I might have added my own interpretation of the interview....

BoldonLad

I see the Tories have now pledged to move pensioner tax brackets to stop them falling into the fiscal drag created by the government not increasing tax allowance limits in line with inflation or wage growth.

If I were being cynical, I might conclude that this was a move to try to shore up the pensioner vote since that appears to be the only demographic likely to vote for the Tories.

Conservative pensions person was on Politics Live trying to defend the policy in light of every other person who isn't a pensioner will still fall into increased taxation for the same reasons.

Presenter : "So, whilst pensioners will escape fiscal drag, anyone else of working age will still be affected whilst also paying for this tax change"
Tory pensions person : "fark 'em. They aren't going to vote for me so they can kiss my hairy arse".

I think it just as likely to be a move to shore up HMRC. They are going to have to deal with. a large increase in tax payers, all of those with only State Pension, having no mechanism to have Tax Deducted via the PAYE system.

It is of course, totally unfair, age should not be a deciding factor in tax payment (including National Insurance/ National Pension. contributions).

Last edited:

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis

Is fiscal drag what you wear to a party at HM treasury?

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
Ah, David Kurten.

An actual idiot.

He needs to pull himself together.

stowie

I think it just as likely to be a move to shore up HMRC. They are going to have to deal with. a large increase in tax payers, all of those with only State Pension, having no mechanism to have Tax Deducted via the PAYE system.

It is of course, totally unfair, age should not be a deciding factor in tax payment (including National Insurance/ National Pension. contributions).

That is a good point. I guess they would need to fill out a self-assessment and cue press photos of 90 year olds having to fill out the forms, or worse getting threatening letters from HMRC. Although anyone with private / professional pensions will be in the same boat right now.

The NI part - not paying after retirement age - I get. It isn't exactly sensible these days with increased life expectancy meaning a significant portion of those retiring will not have paid enough NI for their state pension for the rest of their lives, but I understand the principle.

But with tax - yeah. There is no reason why age should determine the tax allowances.

Reactions: C R

Beebo

Veteran
That is a good point. I guess they would need to fill out a self-assessment and cue press photos of 90 year olds having to fill out the forms, or worse getting threatening letters from HMRC. Although anyone with private / professional pensions will be in the same boat right now.

The easiest solution is to keep the tax free allowance up with the basic pension.

I’m unsure what my parents do for tax. They both have incomes that put them well into the clutches of income tax.
Do they they pay a lump sum every April? I’ve never heard OAPs moaning about it, or being caught short for the tax man.

Reactions: C R

Rusty Nails

Country Member

The working class can kiss my arse,

I've got my pensioner raise at last.

But with tax - yeah. There is no reason why age should determine the tax allowances.

I always assumed it was a reward for living so long. Which might have seemed appropriate when lots of us were dying in our mid 50's but now it seems a bit generous to stop paying in NI conts and the same tax as others when we might live another 25 years after retirement age.

Top Bottom