General Election 2024....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

That policy was always a mess. More so the lower the limit was set.

Theoretically stopping people putting sums north of a million in their pensions with possibility of drawing sums down and/or passing it to offspring outside their estate is a reasonable objective.

Unfortunately the same net caught people with high earnings who are in defined benefit schemes. Those cannot be converted into a fast car or a yacht, neither can they be left to anyone. They caught Doctors in a way that meant they were penalised for doing extra work. Judges, where recruitment was affected were given and early pass.

Quite why the Gordian Knott cannot be cut so as to catch the first but not the second I don't know.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
That policy was always a mess. More so the lower the limit was set.

Theoretically stopping people putting sums north of a million in their pensions with possibility of drawing sums down and/or passing it to offspring outside their estate is a reasonable objective.

Unfortunately the same net caught people with high earnings who are in defined benefit schemes. Those cannot be converted into a fast car or a yacht, neither can they be left to anyone. They caught Doctors in a way that meant they were penalised for doing extra work. Judges, where recruitment was affected were given and early pass.

Quite why the Gordian Knott cannot be cut so as to catch the first but not the second I don't know.

Quite, and, of course, none of our esteemed leaders foresaw this consequence.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
You can't
You have to start from where we are
It is like rebuilding a house - fine but the people living in it now need to have somewhere to live in the meantime
only rebuilding society is far more complex and you can't tell the people to kip in a caravan for a year while we knock down the old country and build a new one

Also - people will fight you - even if it is clearly for their own good (in your opinion) - because people's opinions differ

so - basically a good idea - just not practical
unless you know better??

Hence
I vote Liberal Democrat.

icowden

Legendary Member
On that topic, driving around my local area, I can see lots of those "Lib Dems Winning here" type signs that you usually get in elections. Unusually however there isn't a blue sign anywhere. And I do mean anywhere.

Has anyone seen one?

AndyRM

Elder Goth
No signs from anyone anywhere in my 'hood.

Beebo

Veteran
On that topic, driving around my local area, I can see lots of those "Lib Dems Winning here" type signs that you usually get in elections. Unusually however there isn't a blue sign anywhere. And I do mean anywhere.

Has anyone seen one?

I haven’t seen any signs outside houses near me, or had anyone knock on my door. A conservative councillor lives on my street and he has nothing outside.

I was called a few weeks ago by one of the polling companies. It took about 5 mins to answer a few questions.

Ian H

Legendary Member
Only DibLemon signs round here, except for Simon Jupp's orifice office in a vacant shop just down the road. With the new boundaries including us with next-stop-god toryland it's going to be close.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
No signs in windows for any party.

No-one knocking on doors

Even my next door neighbour, a Labour Party member, has no signs out.

But, given that this is an area where they weigh the Labour Votes, not count them, none of this (except the next door neighbour's lack of signs) is in the least unusual

All uphill

Has anyone seen one?

Saw one at the weekend ( outside the tory candidate's house).

"Conservative" is in a small typeface.

Top Bottom