General Election 2024....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Über Member
On that topic, driving around my local area, I can see lots of those "Lib Dems Winning here" type signs that you usually get in elections. Unusually however there isn't a blue sign anywhere. And I do mean anywhere.

Has anyone seen one?

I've seen Green, Lib Dem and Labour, no Conservative though.

albion

Guru
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...l-farage-barnsley-objects-thrown-man-arrested

The Farage love-in continues.
Whereas Cameron, Corbyn and Johnson were the useful idiots, Farage certainly was the main focker. So the love might continue a good while.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
On that topic, driving around my local area, I can see lots of those "Lib Dems Winning here" type signs that you usually get in elections. Unusually however there isn't a blue sign anywhere. And I do mean anywhere.

Has anyone seen one?

Same here (Mid Devon), Lib Dems Winning Here are the majority that I see too.... almost zero of anything else.

It's a surprisingly subdued campaign from everybody round here. No canvassing, couple of leaflets, haven't seen a single window poster or stands out in town.

I have a Labour poster in my window. Partly to express my support for them but also in the hope of keeping canvasser's away.

Only seen one other which was in Scotland for, I think, a Nationalist the party branding wasn't as familiar to me as those in England.

My earliest of an election was 1964 and of the road between home and school blitzed with blue posters for the incumbent Joe Hiley.

Beebo

Veteran

I don’t understand what Sunak means. It’s such a vacuous comment if you give it even 2 seconds of thought.
It’s not like the government are buy my weekly shopping and clothing my children.
And i can hardly spend my money repairing potholes and buying tanks for the army.

spen666

It's a surprisingly subdued campaign from everybody round here. No canvassing, couple of leaflets, haven't seen a single window poster or stands out in town.

During the local elections/ London Mayoral Elections / London Assembly elections, I never saw a single poster for any party, no canvassers nor any leafleting.

This election so far, its the same as far as I can see.

I'm not sure if this is a reflection of the general apathy towards politics in the country, or perhaps a reflection that social media and TV/ Radio are being used instead to target more voters and get messages across

icowden

Legendary Member
I've seen it all now
Rishi Sunak has said he went without "lots of things" as a child, including Sky TV.
Oh the humanity - oh and Sky TV wasn't even launched until he was 4.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
I've seen it all now

He's about my age which means he was a child during the Thatcher and Major governments. It should have been the easiest thing for a Tory PM to say that he grew up comfortably under a Tory administration. But he committed to the four Yorkshiremen route and once he had he was stuck without a specific example.

Reactions: C R

stowie

And i can hardly spend my money repairing potholes and buying tanks for the army.

Moreover, I believe the UK government, and international law enforcement agencies, would take a dim view of individual citizens going out and trying to buy, for example, a brace of cruise missiles.

kynikos

I've seen it all now

If his attempts to use a debit/credit card are anything to go by it would have been a waste of money anyway - he wouldn't have been able to operate the remote...

GP father and pharmacist mother so not unreasonable to imagine combined salaries of £150/£200k in today's terms - so it must have been tough.

Sadly, for us, the "lots of things" he went without included any connection to ordinary life and ordinary people.

Top Bottom