General Election 2024....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Legendary Member
Likewise.
Also, funfact, less than a third of UK houses had central heating in 1970.
I was lucky, I had 3 channels and central heating but had to watch Battlestar Galactica at my mates house in black and white...

icowden

Legendary Member
We didn’t have a video player until 1990.
And the second TV in the kitchen didn’t even have push buttons to change the channel but it had a twist knob to tune the channels.
#deprived.

We got our VCR in about 1986 I think. I know it was before my dad died in 1988 leaving us with a video collection of taped Dangerman, Avengers and Life on Earth collections all recorded from the TV.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I've seen it all now

Oh the humanity - oh and Sky TV wasn't even launched until he was 4.

This is the new "my dad was a tool maker"... everyone will have to mention things they didn't have, wait until we get down to "I had no shoes/socks/underwear/etc" ;)

We still don't have Sky TV, are we poor?, am I a total failure?, 77 and no Sky TV? :laugh:

Interestingly, or not as the case may be, during my working life I spent time working in former USSR and became pals with a Russian (called, predictably, Yuri). He was about the same age as me, and, when we compared notes, although I had enjoyed a materially richer life, in UK, than he had in USSR, the actual "peaks and troughs" of relative wealth were remarkably in line. Which made me think it was down to world events, rather than the skills or otherwise of our respective leaders during those years.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

BoldonLad

Dear Sir,
I was deprived of proper Television as a child and only had 2 channels

Who do I sue???

Yours sincerely

A child of the 60s

Can we have a competition?

We got TV when I was 11 (1958), black and white, of course, and, I think, only one channel

I got an actual new bicycle age 11 (all previous bicycles had been "made" from scrounged bits

We got our first car (secondhand) when I was 13 (1960)

We got our first (Council) house with Central Heating when I was 13 (1960), posh or what?

We never owned a Telephone, so, no telephone bill

We never owned a fridge

Anyone else ever go:

coal picking on the pit heap?

tatty picking (potato picking)

Turnip (swede, I think to your southern types) picking (or stealing)

Last edited:

BoldonLad

You had a pit heap?

More than one, and a pit pond to sail home made rafts on. We wanted for nothing :rolleyes:

BoldonLad

Watching Lib Dem PPB (accidentally) Ed Davey is upping the competition, it is illnesses your parent had now!, he might be on to a winner, I will have to check all of the Leaders and/or candidates profiles.

Beebo

Veteran

BoldonLad

Top Bottom