General Election 2024....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Legendary Member
Remember the palaver of setting the video recorder to tape something? People just wouldn't tolerate that level of farting about now. Then you settle down to watch your cop show and find you've got 4 hours of golf.

Worse was setting it correctly then finding that the program started early...

Reactions: C R

Rusty Nails

Country Member
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ys-before-announcement?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

This could just as well go in the Tory sleaze thread but it is ''insider trading'' on the election date.

They just can't help themselves. Or do I mean they just can't stop helping themselves?

Used to be my MP until kicked out by the voters. This doesn't surprise me at all, he was a creep who was parachuted into a safer seat...hopefully not so safe now.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
We had several. Riding your bike round the slag heaps was very popular if reckless entertainment. Kind of BMX before BMX was even a thing. All landscaped now.

My dad wasn't too happy when I upended the bars on my Raleigh Trent Sports road bike to convert it into a sort of speedway bike for tracks I and my friends used to race around the local slag heaps. It had cost him a lot of money and I had to convert it back.

ebikeerwidnes

Worse was setting it correctly then finding that the program started early...

I seem to remember that we had Videoplus
where you keyed in a mysterious code from the newspaper and that translated to a date and time and the machine recorded it

AND

if the show was a live event then it managed to realise and extend it to record the whole event and start late if the previous event went over

now

if only we had that level of technology now so that maybe a stage of the Crit of Dauph. went over the expected time - or some useless tennis stuff overran
then how much better off we would be

but then technology can;t be expeted to keep up with the past

err

anyway - if only there was a way of you box at home to know that the previous thing had overunr - maybe one could call it an Internet
or something

anyway - as "some" politicians are often saying - things were so much better back in the old days

bobzmyunkle

Starting to feel I missed out on slag/coal heap action, but we had plenty of other opportunities to be feral.
Can we get a BBC interviewer to ask Starmer and Sunak to share feral experiences?

Last edited:

bobzmyunkle

I seem to remember that we had Videoplus
where you keyed in a mysterious code from the newspaper and that translated to a date and time and the machine recorded it

AND

if the show was a live event then it managed to realise and extend it to record the whole event and start late if the previous event went over

now

if only we had that level of technology now so that maybe a stage of the Crit of Dauph. went over the expected time - or some useless tennis stuff overran
then how much better off we would be

but then technology can;t be expeted to keep up with the past

err

anyway - if only there was a way of you box at home to know that the previous thing had overunr - maybe one could call it an Internet
or something

anyway - as "some" politicians are often saying - things were so much better back in the old days

Could it be that it was such a pita back then or has time....

bobzmyunkle

I bet you had a Sodastream
fark, we did. Was that posh?

Yes, if it was in the '70's. The requisite way to buy pop was once in a blue moon from the pop lorry that came round the estate.

0_LG_MEN_28930179_Alpine_pop_men.jpg

Kids today don't even know what dandelion and burdock is. How much? Call that music? Get off my grass etc.

Beebo

Veteran
Yes, if it was in the '70's. The requisite way to buy pop was once in a blue moon from the pop lorry that came round the estate.

View attachment 6152
Kids today don't even know what dandelion and burdock is. How much? Call that music? Get off my grass etc.

We didn’t have that in leafy Surrey.
But the milkman occasionally delivered cherryade and other odd drinks.

multitool

I watched the ITV interviews last night. It was strange because Starmer came across to me as wooden and awkward, Sunak much slicker and more relaxed, and yet Starmer is deemed to have 'won' by a considerable margin.

I think Sunak's D Day and Sky TV gaffes have finished him. It doesn't matter what he says or does now. Obviously he has already lost the election, but I think he's lost everything now.

Top Bottom