General Election 2024....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Legendary Member
This you?

Yes. Your point is?

I wouldn't have voted for Corbyn. I would vote for Starmer who is centrist. In Gower, the choice is between labour and conservative. Any vote for Green or Plaid helps the Conservative candidate. Any vote for Reform helps the Labour candidate.

So it would be lovely to be able to vote Green or Plaid and have it make a difference but under FPTP is doesn't.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Yes. Your point is?

I wouldn't have voted for Corbyn. I would vote for Starmer who is centrist. In Gower, the choice is between labour and conservative. Any vote for Green or Plaid helps the Conservative candidate. Any vote for Reform helps the Labour candidate.

So it would be lovely to be able to vote Green or Plaid and have it make a difference but under FPTP is doesn't.

Labour and the Tories are lurching rightward because people are voting for Reform, who are unlikely to win many seats. You're not gonna drag the Labour party back to the left by endorsing them.

C R

Über Member
Tory candidate doesn't like tories

The fücking filter mangles the fücking url. It is the article about James Cracknel in the graun, but you're going to have to google for it.

One wonders why he is a tory candidate.

Last edited:

Beebo

Veteran
I'm getting slight Johnny Mercer vibes.

That bang to the head hasn’t done him any good.

Reactions: C R
Yes. Your point is?

Starmer? Centrist? Really?

albion

Guru
I always wonder why the BBC has guest interview/debates with so called 'undecided voters'.

You always get a 'I have always been an xxx party voter, but probably not this time...' whilst adding a line that hints that they are not/never that party voter.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Yes. He’s a perfect definition of a centrist.

It's not a term generally embraced by those it refers to, @icowden excepted. One might, innocently, expect it to refer to the centre of the spectrum of political opinion or viewpoint in a given nation, but in practice in the UK it describes a small demographic so terrified of the Jam Man that they're prepared to crash the whole plane into the mountain rather than let the co-pilot back into the cabin.

Reactions: C R

icowden

Legendary Member
It's not a term generally embraced by those it refers to, @icowden excepted. One might, innocently, expect it to refer to the centre of the spectrum of political opinion or viewpoint in a given nation, but in practice in the UK it describes a small demographic so terrified of the Jam Man that they're prepared to crash the whole plane into the mountain rather than let the co-pilot back into the cabin.

Or not. i think the best definition of a British Centrist is a hobbit. Not too much excitement, generally look after people but also allow people to do well. Welcoming and hospitable to strangers and generally pleasant people. That's what the majority of people in the UK are. We want the planet to be an nice place, for students not to have to pay for university but for taxes not to be too high etc. Just middle of the road.

Blair recognised that people were not going to go back to Callaghan / Wilson style governments with sky high taxes and he pursued a centrist agenda - he was wildly successful until he got WMD happy. Similarly no-one was too unhappy with the Cameron/Clegg government. The rot set in with the Cameron Government and Brexit which finally gave voice to the extremists and has been built up and up by Johnson and Sunak until we have National Service and sending people "back where they came from".

We need to move back to the middle. Starmer will do that. He's not my ideal solution - I'd prefer a Lib Dem government TBH or a liberal coalition. That's not on the table though.

Top Bottom