General Election 2024....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Or not. i think the best definition of a British Centrist is a hobbit. Not too much excitement, generally look after people but also allow people to do well. Welcoming and hospitable to strangers and generally pleasant people. That's what the majority of people in the UK are. We want the planet to be an nice place, for students not to have to pay for university but for taxes not to be too high etc. Just middle of the road.

Blair recognised that people were not going to go back to Callaghan / Wilson style governments with sky high taxes and he pursued a centrist agenda - he was wildly successful until he got WMD happy. Similarly no-one was too unhappy with the Cameron/Clegg government. The rot set in with the Cameron Government and Brexit which finally gave voice to the extremists and has been built up and up by Johnson and Sunak until we have National Service and sending people "back where they came from".

We need to move back to the middle. Starmer will do that. He's not my ideal solution - I'd prefer a Lib Dem government TBH or a liberal coalition. That's not on the table though.

Other narratives are available. :okay:

D

Deleted member 159

This is what has happened to the political voting bell curve in recent years

1000012768.jpg

Beebo

Veteran
We are supposed to accept that three quarters of the voting population are hard right?
I doubt even Nazi Germany commanded that level of support.

Bazzer

Except of course in posting the image, after you found it on X, you either willfully cut out the text which accompanied the image you decided to copy, or you chose to ignore the easy to find references to New Zealand politics (the 2023 general election) and the forthcoming US elections. The timings of both predating Sunak's soggy suit announcement.

This is what has happened to the political voting bell curve in recent years
So it appears to have FA with the upcoming UK general election.

albion

Guru
The betting scandal is on mushrooms.
It looks like the PC Plod 'red hot tip' grapevine much created the red flag betting activity.

multitool

According to you anything not left wing is far right, so it really has.

Where have I said that?

I'll wait.

Perhaps you mean your attempts to to pass off your own vile racist attitudes as somehow centrist, because "the silent majority" agree and therefore it isn't extreme, buy is mainstream? :laugh:

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
As a result, it's looking like Labour have a good chance of getting a super-majority - not through competence (perceived or otherwise), but through the public being absolutely sick to death of the incumbents, while Sunak runs possibly the worst election campaign ever.

What is a 'super-majority' please?

What is a 'super-majority' please?

It's a concept that has no meaning in the UK's constitutional arrangements. In other countries, for example perhaps to amend a constitution there might be a requirement for a vote more overwhalming than 50% +1.

It would have save a lot of trouble if the EU referendum needed a super majority of, say 60% of those casting a vote.

Any Westminster Government with a majority big enough to survive probable rebellions, maybe 30+, can pretty much do what it likes. In reality the opposition are no more use there than with a majority of 200.

multitool

Labour has suspended Central Suffolk and North Ipswich candidate Kevin Craig after Gambling Commission launched investigation.

Turns out he bet he was going to lose his seat in the election.

Labour Central office seem to have helped him out there :laugh:

Last edited:

Beebo

Veteran
Labour has suspended Central Suffolk and North Ipswich candidate Kevin Craig after Gambling Commission launched investigation.

Turns out he bet he was going to lose his seat in the election.

Labour Central office seem to have helped him out there :laugh:

He claims he had no chance of winning the seat and that the money would be going to charity. 😳
Imagine being a Labour Party member knocking on doors for him.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom