Laurence Fox vs Mukhtar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Squire
Buddhist monks in Sri Lanka were among the most aggressive in demanding punitive action against the Tamils. And, of course, our current Home Sec is a Buddhist.

Or claims to be.

Just as there are supposed adherents to religions, political affiliations etc that don't in reality, live by their claimed ideology or set of beliefs - so there are many with a claimed philosophy such as Buddhism.

I was just stating fact that buddhism isn't a religion - which I thought was common knowledge .

Fwiw I don't claim to be a Buddhist myself.

In the end, whether conciously or unconsciously, Buddhism still upholds many patriachal, and hierarchical beliefs.

What's this - organised chanting? Group-think??

If you like, who am I to stop you ??
A sing along can be quite uplifting.

But also see above for further clarification.
👍🏼

matticus

Guru
I was just stating fact that buddhism isn't a religion - which I thought was common knowledge .

The majority of online sources state there is no agreed definition of religion.

Couple that with religion and buddhism cropping up closely together in many many sources .... and I have to doubt your statement.

qigong chimp

Settler of gobby hash.

It very much is a religion, mudders, yet is so other than monotheism that religion as a descriptor usually needs defining, expanding or qualifying wherever it's used.

Otherwise you end up making the risible claim on the internet that Scientology is a religion.

CXRAndy

Guru
According to a quick search

Buddhism is one of the world's major religions. It originated in South Asia around the 5th century B.C.E. with Siddhartha Gautama, and over the next millennia it spread across Asia and the rest of the world.

D

Deleted member 121

According to a quick search

Buddhism is one of the world's major religions. It originated in South Asia around the 5th century B.C.E. with Siddhartha Gautama, and over the next millennia it spread across Asia and the rest of the world.

Just to add to that, your favourite colour must be orange and to fit in, it's best that you are a slaphead...

mudsticks

Squire
It very much is a religion, mudders, yet is so other than monotheism that religion as a descriptor usually needs defining, expanding or qualifying wherever it's used.

Otherwise you end up making the risible claim on the internet that Scientology is a religion.

Well yes we'd have to more clearly define or even redefine religion or religiosity.

But I know many folks who claim to be non religious, yet practicing Buddhists.

They'd also maintain an absence of supernatural beliefs, and any particular attachment to any deities, multiple or otherwise.

Maybe they're a bunch of lying fiends also 😱

Perhaps there in fact two 'types' of Buddhism -religiously aligned, and the secular sorts??

I'm certainly aligned with the veneration of butter bit. 🙂

Screenshot_20231023-122916.png

Ian H

Guru
Or claims to be.

Just as there are supposed adherents to religions, political affiliations etc that don't in reality, live by their claimed ideology or set of beliefs - so there are many with a claimed philosophy such as Buddhism.

Fwiw I don't claim to be a Buddhist myself.

In the end, whether conciously or unconsciously, Buddhism still upholds many patriachal, and hierarchical beliefs.

People in the west tend to think of Buddhism in terms of Zen. There are lots of different sects within Buddhism, many with big temples that closely resemble religious structures and rituals which could easily be mistaken for prayer.

mudsticks

Squire
People in the west tend to think of Buddhism in terms of Zen. There are lots of different sects within Buddhism, many with big temples that closely resemble religious structures and rituals which could easily be mistaken for prayer.

Well yes, but it turns out (shock horror) our westernised perceptions of 'what things resemble' can on occasion be rather at odds with how other people perceive their own beliefs and practices.

matticus

Guru
Well yes we'd have to more clearly define or even redefine religion or religiosity.
Heck, why not redefine it? Still lots of space in the NACA Alternative Dictionary - whatever definitions you find useful for your rhetoric, get them in there quick!

But I know many folks who claim to be non religious, yet practicing Buddhists.

They'd also maintain an absence of supernatural beliefs, and any particular attachment to any deities, multiple or otherwise.

Maybe they're a bunch of lying fiends also 😱

Perhaps there in fact two 'types' of Buddhism -religiously aligned, and the secular sorts??
No perhaps about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secular_Buddhism

Honestly? this sounds rather like following every christian teaching you were brought up with, but then denying your christianity ....

Last edited:

matticus

Guru
Yes, I was making a point. As, inadvertently, were you.

Oh no, woe is me - out-gnomicked by Ian again! I am but an intellectual midget in his shadow.

If only he'd actually state some views on something, we could learn so much from one so wise .... <sigh>

icowden

Legendary Member
Why is it risible? It was set up to be a religion.

The Church of Scientology is a group of interconnected corporate entities and other organizations devoted to the practice, administration and dissemination of Scientology, which is variously defined as a cult, a business, or a new religious movement
Of course there are differences of opinion as to whether it is a cult or religion etc. It was founded by one man - it has that in common with Mormonism, Islam and Christianity. It requires belief in things that cannot be proven and for which there is no evidence. See also Islam, Christianity, Mormonism etc. It involves controlling the behaviour and lifestyle of a large group of people. See also Islam, Christianity, Mormonism etc. It's most senior members live in luxury. See also Islam, Christianity, Mormonism etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom