Laurence Fox vs Mukhtar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
And I haven't got a telly neither.

I haven't got a religion.

So don't give a toss how they are defined, as long as they are not forced on me.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Not all CofE bishops are that dogmatic (I believe that's one of Unkraut's quibbles).

I think it depends on your definition of 'actual son of god' and it's not as if theologians haven't argued over that in the past. That was the job of the council of Nicaea IIRC.

Anyway, as a secular atheist I can't very well tell religious people what they do, or should, believe. I can listen to what they say they believe and engage in a discussion about it if appropriate, but most of the time I can just accept that they believe something, and simply let them get on with it.

Gets a bit more tricky in situations such as we're seeing in the Middle East, but good luck getting in the middle of that with your atheistic humanism.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
All together now..

"Buddhism, is a philosophy not a religion"

You can have a religious belief, and be a Buddhist.

But you don't have to have a religious belief to follow Buddhist philosophy, and practices. 🙏🏼🌈💚
Nope, to be 'properly religious' you have to have faith in unseeable unprovable entities such as God.

In the case of Christianity, you should believe Jesus was the 'actual' son of God.

And you should believe in the existence of such a things as a soul or spirit that is in some way separate to the human body.

Buddhists don't 'have' to believe in any of that supernatural stuff.
(Although believing those things doesn't preclude you from being a Buddhist)

You can follow the philosophy / teachings / principals of Buddha without any 'religious' or supernatural belief, and still be A Buddhist.

If you decide you like the general morality of a religion such as Christianity, and try to follow that, but don't actually have faith or believe any of the supernatural entities then you're taking moral advice or guidance from say Christianity - but no, you're not actually Christian* if you don't pursue the faith / belief bit.

*Even if it turns out you're actually a *nicer* person than those who claim Christianity for themselves, but who themselves turn out to be rather unpleasant.

Tl;dr

No.

I never said anything about being "religious", I said, in the case of most, if not all, religions, you could follow their "philosophy" without being a believer. In deed, almost exactly the same you you say here "
If you decide you like the general morality of a religion such as Christianity, and try to follow that, but don't actually have faith or believe any of the supernatural entities then you're taking moral advice or guidance from say Christianity - but no, you're not actually Christian* if you don't pursue the faith / belief bit.

We could quibble about the use of the word "philosophy" I suppose, but, other than that, it would appear to me we have a rare point of agreement.

Sorry if that offends you. ;)

Reactions: C R

BoldonLad

People in the west tend to think of Buddhism in terms of Zen. There are lots of different sects within Buddhism, many with big temples that closely resemble religious structures and rituals which could easily be mistaken for prayer.

Another statement which is true of most, if not all religions

BoldonLad

Well yes, but it turns out (shock horror) our westernised perceptions of 'what things resemble' can on occasion be rather at odds with how other people perceive their own beliefs and practices.

I wonder... would:

"
Well yes, but it turns out (shock horror) their easernised* perceptions of 'what things resemble' can on occasion be rather at odds with how other people perceive their own beliefs and practices.

be just as viable?

* is there such a word? replace with any region desired eg Northern, Southern....

BoldonLad

Ahem, ahem, wasn't there something on NACA fairly recently where the argument was along the lines of high value houses not meaning the occupant was wealthy. Can't remember who was putting that forward.

particularly if the occupant was only "living" in said house, as opposed to "owning it*"

* even with a mortgage, and, the benefit of any increase in value of said house

multitool

Pharaoh
Nope, to be 'properly religious' you have to have faith in unseeable unprovable entities such as God.

Not at all true.

Buddism, Confucianism, Taoism, Jainism and arguably Hinduism are nontheistic religions.

icowden

Legendary Member
Ahem, ahem, wasn't there something on NACA fairly recently where the argument was along the lines of high value houses not meaning the occupant was wealthy. Can't remember who was putting that forward.
Yep. But there's high value and high value. And more importantly high value where you are asking other people for money to pay for your house and income. The vicarage in Walton was worth about 3 to 4 million pounds. A 7 bedroom mansion in a private estate with loads of garden. Interestingly when the last Vicar was retired, the CofE sold it, and the new Vicars have a much cheaper 5 bed detached worth only £820,000 slightly further from the church.

mudsticks

Squire
Oh no you don't!

Aummm,

If I wasn't so non-attached to the outcome on all this - I'd offer to fight you over it 😇🙏🏼🌈💚💜

Meanwhile - fibre based handicrafts...

Harmless pastime??
Or dabbling in the occult??

Screenshot_20231023-085105.png

Top Bottom