Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

multitool

There's not really any point, is there? You've already dismissed two things I've pointed out on the basis that you don't think they're relevant.

But OK, just about tripling his majority in his constituency? That's a pretty significant achievement.

The two awards look pretty bogus, to be honest. About as much an indication of Corbyn's impact as King Charles's military medals are of his bravery and derring-do.

Corbyn's constituency has been a safe Labour seat since 1937.

Here is the graph charting it's electoral history:

Islington_North_election_results.png

Corbyn's first election had the slimmest majority Labour had ever won, then he only increased it when in opposition.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 49

(ps anyone remember when the Corbynites were claiming he'd been instrumental in the NI peace process, then the people involved stepped in and said he'd done FA)
Not really....I remember more the IRA bollox.He must have done something right as it's the only time my partner ever voted Labour...she's back to "feck em,wouldn't touch them" I've toned that down.

View: https://twitter.com/GregClinker/status/1646419483047624705?t=WTpXt_lr4Heg6_UyGK0eQA&s=19

AndyRM

Elder Goth
The two awards look pretty bogus, to be honest. About as much an indication of Corbyn's impact as King Charles's military medals are of his bravery and derring-do.

Corbyn's constituency has been a safe Labour seat since 1937.

You've not heard of the IPB before today?! It's a pretty big deal...

As for it being a safe seat, that's true. My point, which you ignored, is that he significantly increased his majority there which personally I find pretty impressive.

He's won numerous Beard of the Year awards, which even you must agree is pretty amazing...

multitool

Not really....I remember more the IRA bollox.He must have done something right as it's the only time my partner ever voted Labour...she's back to "feck em,wouldn't touch them" I've toned that down.

View: https://twitter.com/GregClinker/status/1646419483047624705?t=WTpXt_lr4Heg6_UyGK0eQA&s=19

Of course Adams would praise Corbyn. Corbyn, a member of Parliament, gave Adams affirmation, at the same time Adam's organisation was murdering British and Irish civilians and British soldiers.

Remember when the IRA tried to kill the entire Cabinet in 1984 at the Brighton bombing? Two weeks later Corbyn invited two IRA volunteers to the Commons.

Useful idiot.

Last edited:

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Nope. And I suspect that neither had anyone posting here. And, as I said, the 'Sean Macbride' prize is virtually unknown, which is why citations are so scant.

Ah right, so because you'd heard of neither until now that means nobody else possibly could? Jolly good.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Had you heard of the 'Sean Macbride'Peace award?

Thought not.

Er, yes, I had.

I appreciate that you hadn't, which is fine. Not really sure what you're getting from this, but hey ho.

D

Deleted member 49

Of course Adams would praise Corbyn. Corbyn, a member of Parliament, gave Adams affirmation, at the same time Adam's organisation was murdering British and Irish civilians and British soldiers.

Remember when the IRA tried to kill the entire Cabinet in 1984 at the Brighton bombing? Two weeks later Corbyn invited two IRA volunteers to the Commons.

Useful idiot.
Thatcher and Blair were in talks with all sides in the Troubles ? The alternative was politics and it worked.But Corbyn has always been a man of peace,how do you think they got to that point.
Your never going to get any sympathy for the IRA on a predominantly English cycling forum but have you taken a look where Sinn Fein are today ? You say his organisation was murdering/bombing, just as some from the nationalist side saw the British do the same.It was and still is to a certain extent a dirty war on both sides.The good Friday agreement was a success for all,does it really matter who settled it,or who was involved.I suspect we'll never really know.But I do know for the nationalists it was Mo Moland who they still hold in high regard.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 49

Of course they were, via back channels, which is how it has to be for pretty obvious reasons.

Corbyn's platforming of Adams did nothing helpful.
Your opinion obviously,those that were there thought different.

multitool

There are obvious political resons why Seán MacBride is less well-known in the UK than elsewhere in the world.

De Valera is pretty well known in UK, despite his connection to republican militancy, but I take your general point that Irish history is not well known in the UK. In fact, we don't really like knowing our own history when it comes to colonies.

I'm not sure how well known MacBride is outside of the UK. possibly the US, but elsewhere?

Last edited:

Ian H

Legendary Member
De Valera is pretty well known in UK, despite his connection to republican militancy.

I'm not sure how well known MacBride is outside of the UK. possibly the US, but elsewhere?

At least in France (he lived there at times) and parts of Africa (he drew up national constitutions & helped found the OAN). He headed various UN institutions. He was also one of the founders of Amnesty International. But he wasn't head of state of our nearest neighbour.

Top Bottom