Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pubrunner

What, as in actually getting elected rather than delivering the biggest defeat for almost a century? :laugh:

Is this really a 'fair' comparison to make ?

Back in 2019, do you think Starmer would have done appreciably better than Jeremy Corbyn ? (I don't think he would have done)

The current government is dreadful - I think there is universal agreement on this; but will Starmer win the next election on merit - the strength of his 'vision' & policies, or is it the case that folk will be voting for 'anyone other than the Tories' ? I think it's the latter and I also believe that were he still leader, Jeremy Corbyn would have at least as good a chance as Starmer, of winning the next election.

IMO, Starmer will almost certainly win the next election. Some Labour supporters say things such as - "we first have to win and hold the reins of power before we can change anything". But given that Starmer appears to be Tory-lite, it is difficult to see what changes will be made ?. Jeremy Corbyn probably promised too much, but at least he offered a clear message and positivity and hope to the young.

I live in North Shropshire - held by the Conservatives for 115 years, when Lib Dem Helen Morgan won the seat - which was previously held by the disgraced Owen Paterson. Those to whom I've spoken, have said that they'll vote again for Helen Morgan - because they don't think Labour under Starmer will make any radical changes and that the country will 'feel' much the same as it currently does - a dire mess. In other words, it'll be more of the same.

icowden

Legendary Member
I live in North Shropshire - held by the Conservatives for 115 years, when Lib Dem Helen Morgan won the seat - which was previously held by the disgraced Owen Paterson. Those to whom I've spoken, have said that they'll vote again for Helen Morgan - because they don't think Labour under Starmer will make any radical changes and that the country will 'feel' much the same as it currently does - a dire mess. In other words, it'll be more of the same.
And also because in a traditionally tory seat Labour have a snowball's chance in hell of getting elected. A vote for Labour there would be a vote wasted thanks to first past the post. Same as Esher and Walton - although I do wonder who they will put up in place of Raab.

D

Deleted member 49

Is this really a 'fair' comparison to make ?

Back in 2019, do you think Starmer would have done appreciably better than Jeremy Corbyn ? (I don't think he would have done)

The current government is dreadful - I think there is universal agreement on this; but will Starmer win the next election on merit - the strength of his 'vision' & policies, or is it the case that folk will be voting for 'anyone other than the Tories' ? I think it's the latter and I also believe that were he still leader, Jeremy Corbyn would have at least as good a chance as Starmer, of winning the next election.

IMO, Starmer will almost certainly win the next election. Some Labour supporters say things such as - "we first have to win and hold the reins of power before we can change anything". But given that Starmer appears to be Tory-lite, it is difficult to see what changes will be made ?. Jeremy Corbyn probably promised too much, but at least he offered a clear message and positivity and hope to the young.

Massive waste which is sad,handed a huge lead by doing nothing,does nothing to offer any ideas of a better society.Labour have a 20 plus pt lead with Starmer who has a -18pt satisfaction score.Imagine if people actually liked him 🙄

Reactions: C R
D

Deleted member 49

What possible reason other than "there not the Tories" would you vote for Labour.
More fiscal rules bollox

Labour says that it would also reject the 6.5% pay rise recommended by the School Teachers' Review Body (STRB), saying any pay rise must be in line with Labour's "fiscal rules".

Shadow Chancellor Rachel Reeves said: "Labour’s fiscal rules are absolutely non-negotiable".

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Given that Murdoch elects the Prime Minister, an invite actually *is* winning.

I get the realpolitik argument here, but assuming for the moment that you are correct, are you interested at all in how we might loosen the grip of such malign and powerful actors on what passes for our democracy?

icowden

Legendary Member
I get the realpolitik argument here, but assuming for the moment that you are correct, are you interested at all in how we might loosen the grip of such malign and powerful actors on what passes for our democracy?
Of course. It can only be done by government really.

Top Bottom