Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
It's my experience that many husbands are supportive of whatever it was that their wives told them to be supportive of...

Doesn't sound like a particularly balanced marriage to me...

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Except anti-semitism isn't to do with faith. There are plenty of non-religious Jews.

I didn’t say it was.

The “non-religious” Jew, is interesting, in my head, if no-one else’s, I can’t think of another group where religion/race/ethnicity is as blurred as in the term "Jew".

I assume, although I have no scientific proof, that there are “non-religious” Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs, etc, and Christians.

I believe the RC’s have a term for it ie “wooden catholics”.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

BoldonLad

That's fair enough, but if you're prepared to raise your children in a particular way, then you're supportive.

I think we are at slight cross purposes here. You can be supportive of your partner, without being supportive of their religion, although, I would say, a degree of tolerance is required.

Tolerance is a commodity in short supply, in my life experience, at least.

I could give you a personal example, but, I don't want to upset the forum overlord.

I fear we may be drifting off topic.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I think we are at slight cross purposes here. You can be supportive of your partner, without being supportive of their religion, although, I would say, a degree of tolerance is required.

Tolerance is a commodity in short supply, in my life experience, at least.

I could give you a personal example, but, I don't want to upset the forum overlord.

I fear we may be drifting off topic.

I think we're basically saying the same thing to be honest, just perhaps with different words?

BoldonLad

Your syntax is horrible.

Will that do?

I don’t know what it means, but, I am very offended

icowden

Legendary Member
I assume, although I have no scientific proof, that there are “non-religious” Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs, etc, and Christians.
I'm not sure that there are. It's only Jew that refers to both an ethnic group and a religion. Baddiel talks about it in "Jews don't count". IIRC he mentions that if you were in Germany in 1942, the Nazi's wouldn't be bothered whether you went to the Synagogue and/or wore a kippah or not, and that many tropes about Jews are physical - e.g. hooked nose. He also talks about the fact that he is both a Jew and an atheist.

BoldonLad

I'm not sure that there are. It's only Jew that refers to both an ethnic group and a religion. Baddiel talks about it in "Jews don't count". IIRC he mentions that if you were in Germany in 1942, the Nazi's wouldn't be bothered whether you went to the Synagogue and/or wore a kippah or not, and that many tropes about Jews are physical - e.g. hooked nose. He also talks about the fact that he is both a Jew and an atheist.

Sorry, but, I don’t know if you are agreeing with me or disagreeing. ?

albion

Guru

Success helps. Am sure the poor man's option is to just keep your mouth shut.

multitool

Pharaoh
Labour has won both by-elections.

Wellingborough has been a Tory seat for 23 years with an 18k majority. Labour won it with the second largest swing since WW2.

I'd say this is a pretty good vindication of Starmer's electoral policy.

Top Bottom