Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Seems an odd position. In 5 of those 13 seats Labour had over 10,000 votes. For about 6 of those seats it might have been useful tactical voting given that those areas have only ever been SNP or Tory.

I've got no idea why they did it, but they did. The Conservatives are doing the same thing these days with their "Anyone but the SNP" line.

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
Except for 2017 where they elected 13 Tory MPs out of 51 possible Scottish seats, and which you keep glossing over.
That's 25% support for the Conservatives.

Maybe counting works differently where you come from but I've always understood 13 to be a significantly smaller number than 35, which was the number of seats the SNP won in 2017. I confess I sometimes struggle with basic arithmetic but I've checked this several times and cannot find the error in my workings.

And oh look - here's me glossing over the Tories' gains that year:

Yes - that's very important. Arguably (because you just know someone will!) if the leader of 'Scottish' Labour at the time hadn't exhorted Labour voters in SNP/Tory marginals to vote Conservative to "get the Nats out", then it is highly probable most of those 13 seats would have stayed SNP, meaning it's possible a Corbyn-led coalition of the Left could potentially have formed a UK government. How different the last 8 years might have been.

Cheers Kezia. :sad:

icowden

Legendary Member
Maybe counting works differently where you come from but I've always understood 13 to be a significantly smaller number than 35, which was the number of seats the SNP won in 2017. I confess I sometimes struggle with basic arithmetic but I've checked this several times and cannot find the error in my workings.
I refer you to:-
In 2015 Scotland returned 56 SNP MPs and only one Tory MP - leading to the observation at the time that Pandas were twice as common in Scotland than Tories. The GE still delivered a Conservative government, for Scotland as well as the nations that elected it.
The 2017 election suggests that there are more Conservative Supporters in Scotland than you suggest and that contrary to your earlier position, Scotland does make a difference in a general election.

To be fair, I actually agree with some of the SNPs position. Given that Parliament created a devolved Scotland, and that Scotland pretty much governs 90% of what happens in Scotland without interference from Westminster it would make more sense to look at the way that central government works and how a cohesive union between the 4 nations could be maintained whilst also allowing more national freedom of choice. I also think that the Government made a massive mistake in failing to consider that Scotland strongly wanted to remain in the EU. London has a habit of ignoring Scotland and the North.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I'd kind of assumed they could have put up a new candidate? Or were things too far down the campaign trail for that to have happened?

As I understood the reporting, they (Labour Party) were too far down the line to field a new candidate, indeed, they were too far down the line to have the ballot papers amended, so, the "disowned" candidate was still shown as labour on the ballot papers.

The turn out was was, I believe well down on at the last General Election.

A few months in the limelight for George the Cat, then, hopefully, he can return to reality TV etc

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

multitool

I'd kind of assumed they could have put up a new candidate? Or were things too far down the campaign trail for that to have happened?

It was past the deadline, otherwise they would have.

Unfortunately for Labour, Galloway is excellent as gaining attention, and as a populist he will spend his time grandstanding in Parliament about Gaza, hoping to damage Labour's chances in Rochdale in the GE

AndyRM

Elder Goth
He's already said his victory is "for Gaza" which is a bit of a shame for the people of Rochdale.

Still, if they get a Primani and a clean clock I'm sure they'll be chuffed.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Firstly Muslims are adherent to Islam. They are a religious group and not a race of people. That religion holds that Jerusalem is Islam's third holiest site and indeed Jerusalem prior to the establishment of Israel after the second world war was populated by both Jews and Muslims. Following the establishment of Israel as a Jewish nation each side has been routinely smiting the other ever since.

The Palestinians forced out to live in Gaza and the West Bank are largely Sunni Muslims. The 30% Muslim community in Rochdale are largely Sunni Muslims.

It is therefore likely that the Muslims of Rochdale are more likely to support a man who speaks out for the Palestinians rather than the Israelis.
I'm quite sure that some of them will also think that Galloway is a self serving git, but it is likely that the majority will have supported him because of this position. Some might have voted for him just because he does a cat impression.

But no, it isn't racist, or indeed that much of stretch to suggest that it is likely that Rochdale Muslims supported a candidate expressing support for Muslims.

:laugh:

Last edited:

multitool

He's already said his victory is "for Gaza" which is a bit of a shame for the people of Rochdale.

This is a victory for Galloway's ego and bank balance, and nothing else.

Although...and this will surprise a few...I'm hoping, but not expecting, it will force Labour to sharpen their language when talking about Gaza.

Galloway is appalling. But, if he can draw attention to the plight of the Gazans, however much it is in bad faith and exploitative on Galloway's part, then it is probably a good thing.

• Sad
Reactions: C R

multitool

Who would win in a fight between the Muslims of Rochdale and the Werewolves of London?

That you even need to ask...

26CCAEE300000578-0-image-a-18_1426766313043.jpg

Top Bottom