Starmer's vision quest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Be careful what you wish/vote for ?

Tell the residents of my constituency that.

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Fecking hell .....is this Starmers way of getting the left to vote Lib Dem !
Noooooo I won't 🙄
View attachment 1080
Odd. It evidences a claim the LD are soft on drugs and soft on crime with an ad about drugs and nuclear disarmament. Is nuclear disarmament a crime?

Wobblers

I think it is, to be fair. I don't say that to get at the SNP, who quite understandably capitalized on the yawning gap that Labour had left with its uncompromising unionism and its rightward and authoritarian shift under Blair, and became a better party during the (2014) referendum as a result, but it's a bad thing not to have any electoral representation on the left / centre left that isn't subordinate to the question of independence, and also for leftists marooned in the English Tory Hellscape it makes general elections so much more difficult.

Point of order: Labour lost Scotland as a direct consequence of their drifting to the centre right (and beyond, in some cases). Independence had little to do with it. People voted SNP to elect a centre left party, not a nationalist party.

It seems a little perplexing to harp on about "uncompromising unionism" when that was all that was on offer from Corbyn, the Labour Left's champion. Perhaps this a stance that both sides of Labour need to compromise on. In fact, compromise is a quality that all parts of Labour desperately need in general. There is little hope of Labour gaining a majority if you cannot arrive at an accord within your own party.

One of my biggest disappointments over Starmer is that he's failed to unite the party. But then, this thread has forcefully reminded me that there is currently no prospect of that. For starters, the Left need to face up to the fact that they can't win on their own: they need the centre left. If you want an end to this Tory hellscape, you'll have to compromise. Instead, all I see are hurled insults.

D

Deleted member 49

One of my biggest disappointments over Starmer is that he's failed to unite the party. But then, this thread has forcefully reminded me that there is currently no prospect of that. For starters, the Left need to face up to the fact that they can't win on their own: they need the centre left. If you want an end to this Tory hellscape, you'll have to compromise. Instead, all I
Some of the so called left maybe would of liked a little more vision....
Yet it seems like expelling members and abandoning his Ten Pledges' were that vision.Support for a £15ph min wage and not writing for The Scum might of been a start.In fact anything at all would of been nice.
Don't start that you never gave him a chance.He has been shocking.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
as a direct consequence of their drifting to the centre right (and beyond, in some cases).

I think I said that, didn't I? And I don't disagree with the rest of your first paragraph, except that I think they are connected - the momentum for independence tapped into the democratic deficit and helped to enfranchise young people, whereas the 'Better Together' campaign continued to patronise and lecture.

I don't expect people to remember every nuance of my relationship to Corbyn's politics over gazillions of terminated and disappeared threads, but although a card-carrying Corbynista and unapologetic about it, I did not support everything he said or did, and was not reticent about it. Points of disagreement or critique included Scottish independence, electoral pacts/alliances/PR/Labourism, his insufficiently robust response to bad-faith attack, the They Go Low We Go High principle, and of course free hospital parking. But anyway, he's no longer the leader so there's not a great deal to be gained by raking over it again.

I agree that the Left and the centre left/soft left/other progressives of various kinds need to work together (not Blairites - you can't work with Mandelson), but they need to be led from the left, because that is the Labour Party's mandate. It's how Starmer got in, and he's made a choice to spaff it all up the wall very quickly. I wish that weren't so, but I don't apologise for taking some kind of perverse pleasure in some of it coming home to roost. When Starmer decided to write for The Sun, we did tell him that the leopards would definitely eat his face too.

Top Bottom