The rise of the far right

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Unfortunately the UK working class are now hateful Brexit voting bigots.

Always a bit of a problem to make a statement about several million individuals.

I would question your use of the word "now".

Do you mean the working class have always been hateful bigots?

I suppose so, yes.

I took Aurora Saab's comment to be sarcastic rather than a statement of opinion, given the post Brexit comments of many Remain supporters.

You went from a post criticising statements about millions of individuals to making one of your own.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
It was, and also a musing on the fact that political parties have always taken their traditional voter base for granted and it's taken them a long time to wake up to that. Voters don't have the class loyalty to political parties that their grandparents had.

Ian H

Guru
...I think you probably knew that though.
You don't really need the snide closers.

There is evidence that the rise of the UKIP & Brexit vote was motivated at least in part by racial anxieties.
But in general I think that voters of whatever ethnic group will tend to vote as individuals.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
You don't really need the snide closers.
There is evidence that the rise of the UKIP & Brexit vote was motivated at least in part by racial anxieties.
But in general I think that voters of whatever ethnic group will tend to vote as individuals.

Most voters will have individual reasons, but do you believe that different communities, possibly with a background of different cultures and histories, can be subconsciously influenced by a different "group-think" based on those cultures and histories?

FWIW I can see that that could happen but do not see that as any form of criticism or implied racism. I would imagine that there is a difference in political attitudes from people with a family history from Merthyr Tydfil compared to those from Esher or the Shetland Isles, so why not those from Mumbai ?

Diversity means recognising and respecting different histories and ways of thinking as well as different colours.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I took Aurora Saab's comment to be sarcastic rather than a statement of opinion, given the post Brexit comments of many Remain supporters.

You went from a post criticising statements about millions of individuals to making one of your own.

Yes, I suppose, I did, but........

The "working class" (who ever they are), are a subset of the population. Personally, I would contend that to an extent, we are all potential "bigots". Although, again, personally, I would not have used the word "bigot", I was following on the original posters use of the word. But, I do believe, that not very deep under the skin of everyone of us, there is the potential for discrimination. When I say discrimination, I do not necessarily mean racial (although that is clearly one of the "options"), but, in my experience, there are many possibilities for discrimination, racial, sexual, class, religion....

All uphill

Yes, I suppose, I did, but........

The "working class" (who ever they are), are a subset of the population. Personally, I would contend that to an extent, we are all potential "bigots". Although, again, personally, I would not have used the word "bigot", I was following on the original posters use of the word. But, I do believe, that not very deep under the skin of everyone of us, there is the potential for discrimination. When I say discrimination, I do not necessarily mean racial (although that is clearly one of the "options"), but, in my experience, there are many possibilities for discrimination, racial, sexual, class, religion....

Agreed.

The Harvard University Implicit Association Test is worth a look; a simple test indicating our prejudices.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Iain Duncan Smith just used the phrase 'person of colour'. Will @shep be able to bear casting a vote for these exemplars of the Tofu-eating Wokerati?

Ian H

Guru
Most voters will have individual reasons, but do you believe that different communities, possibly with a background of different cultures and histories, can be subconsciously influenced by a different "group-think" based on those cultures and histories?
They'll be influenced, positively or negatively, by their friends and family. As we all are.

Salty seadog

There was a commentator on Radio 4 recently who had an interesting argument.

At the end of the war it was realised that people turn to extremist demagogues with easy answers when they're afraid and insecure, and the way to prevent this ocurring is to put in place support systems that protect people from the worst of life's disasters. This is why the likes of the welfare state and healthcare for all were created so that people feel more secure in the knowledge that they're less likely to become unable to work, feed & clothe the family, pay the rent etc.

Once several generations had grown up with that kind of security, they forgot the value of it, and allowed it to become eroded.

Interesting words..

theclaud

Reading around the chip
To have "dissolved" implies that it once existed, it didn't.

To be fair, Aurora did say 'the idea of...' As it happens, I think the idea has persisted while the material basis of class has shifted. Which is why affluent elderly homeowners who bought their houses for about 50p and have been enjoying 20 years of comfortable retirement often continue to describe themselves as 'working class' whilst simultaneously dismissing young people who are doomed to a life of insecure low-paid employment and paying out two-thirds of their wages to rent and heat a garden shed until they die without being able to afford healthcare as 'middle-class' just because they went to university or have blue hair.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
To be fair, Aurora did say 'the idea of...' As it happens, I think the idea has persisted while the material basis of class has shifted. Which is why affluent elderly homeowners who bought their houses for about 50p and have been enjoying 20 years of comfortable retirement often continue to describe themselves as 'working class' whilst simultaneously dismissing young people who are doomed to a life of insecure low-paid employment and paying out two-thirds of their wages to rent and heat a garden shed until they die without being able to afford healthcare as 'middle-class' just because they went to university or have blue hair.

Impressive use of OTT stereotypes there.

I am almost in that first group...except for the 50p,10 years of comfortable retirement, working class, dismissal of young people.

Top Bottom