The UK’s broken asylum system

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So they're not allowed in the country. If you arrive with no paperwork, you're illegal

There's no legal route, paperwork or not.

There is one country that operates a system that you like, North Korea. It works really well for them.

Reactions: C R
D

Deleted member 159

You do know that immigrants contribute more to the UK economy than the natives?

This has been proven.
Off course it does, for those who come in by legal routes. However, GDP goes up, but individual GDP goes down- suppressed wages for all except the super rich, who cream off the profits by having abundant low skilled workers flooding in.

illegal control costs for housing alone running at £6.4bn per year set to nearly double in less than 3 years.

You do know that immigrants contribute more to the UK economy than the natives?
This has been proven.

That's down to eastern European immigration, where the arrivals are mostly working and young. They are more economically active because the native cohort you are comparing them with has a large % of elderly who have worked and then retired. You're comparing 2 different cohorts.

All uphill

P
That's down to eastern European immigration, where the arrivals are mostly working and young. They are more economically active because the native cohort you are comparing them with has a large % of elderly who have woreasked and then retired. You're comparing 2 different cohorts.

Agreed.

That's one reason why, in economic terms, the relatively young people arriving here should be welcomed. If allowed to work their efforts and taxes will improve life for all of us.

In the last week alone I have been talking with an architect, a GP and an engineer, all of whom are prevented from working here, and are housed at our expense. Madness.

That's one reason why, in economic terms, the relatively young people arriving here should be welcomed. If allowed to work their efforts and taxes will improve life for all of us.
There's certainly an argument to be made for reform of asylum laws to allow arrivals to work after a certain period.

In the last week alone I have been talking with an architect, a GP and an engineer, all of whom are prevented from working here, and are housed at our expense. Madness.
Wouldn't they be eligible to come here on work visas, being employed in quite high salary industries? If they are claiming asylum, then their skills are irrelevant - refuge status should be about their need at the time not what the refugee can offer their host nation.

All uphill

Wouldn't they be eligible to come here on work visas, being employed in quite high salary industries? If they are claiming asylum, then their skills are irrelevant - refuge status should be about their need at the time not what the refugee can offer their host nation.

If you have been discovered in a same sex relationship or have been caught by police producing anti-government literature, for example, you may not have time to plan your escape...

I take the point about skills being irrelevant to asylum, but I want to challenge the lazy view that the people arriving here are uniformly low skilled.

Last edited:
OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
There's certainly an argument to be made for reform of asylum laws to allow arrivals to work after a certain period.

People generally seek asylum when there is serious risk to their life. Going through the strict bureaucratic process of finding a vacancy and a UK sponsor for one of the approved skills is a luxury they can’t afford.

If you have been discovered in a same sex relationship or have been caught by police producing anti-government literature, for example, you may not have time to plan your escape...

I take the point about skills being irrelevant to asylum, but I want to challenge the lazy view that the people arriving here are uniformly low skilled.

True, I suppose. So you get a last minute holiday visa to the UK then overstay your visa and claim asylum? I expect there are such cases but realistically most arrivals aren't gay doctors. Which isn't to say they aren't worthy of giving refugee status to, but the They could be doctors and engineers narrative is as daft as the They could be murderers and rapists narrative.

People generally seek asylum when there is serious risk to their life. Going through the strict bureaucratic process of finding a vacancy and a UK sponsor for one of the approved skills is a luxury they can’t afford.

I honestly don't think that is true. People often seek asylum in the UK because it is the only chance a low skilled migrant has of staying here, especially if they have been refused elsewhere in the EU. You would be daft not to go down the refugee status route once you're here. It's your only avenue, whether you're an economic migrant or a genuine refugee.

There's possibly an argument to be made for taking more low skilled non refugee immigration, but that's a hard sell to the public in the current circumstances.

Last edited:
Top Bottom