The UK’s broken asylum system

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

True, I suppose. So you get a last minute holiday visa to the UK then overstay your visa and claim asylum? I expect there are such cases but realistically most arrivals aren't gay doctors. Which isn't to say they aren't worthy of giving refugee status to, but the They could be doctors and engineers narrative is as daft as the They could be murderers and rapists narrative.
No.

Last minute holiday visa? No.

Have you tried to get a visa out of Iran, for example? You could die of old age (or die in Evin prison) waiting.

I think the reality can be more like knowing you have been discovered and that you have to leave today. The way you do that is by talking to the man round the corner who knows someone who can put you on a truck tonight.

I'm emphatically now saying it's like that for everyone.

I didn't say all asylum seekers are professionals, and don't deny there will be the whole range of people in the cohort.

AndyRM

Elder Goth

Godly men are rising up?

Peaceful protest?

What by rioting, looting and assaulting the police.

Ships that have sailed...

The EDL have proven time and again that they're incapable of doing anything peacefully. Mostly because they're a bunch of pished thugs or easily led children who don't know what they're doing.

That you can't see the parallels of what you fear vs what you think is a jolly good thing is ridiculous, but unsurprising.

D

Deleted member 159

Godly men are rising up?

Peaceful protest?

What by rioting, looting and assaulting the police.

Ships that have sailed...

The EDL have proven time and again that they're incapable of doing anything peacefully. Mostly because they're a bunch of pished thugs or easily led children who don't know what they're doing.

That you can't see the parallels of what you fear vs what you think is a jolly good thing is ridiculous, but unsurprising.

That is just the tip , vast swathes of the population feels like him

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
That is just the tip , vast swathes of the population feels like him

That is an interesting statement.

If it wasn't my habit to watch the news each day, and, browse the internet, I would be oblivious to the "riots", even through some took place a mere 6-8 miles from where I live.

In my circle of friends/acquaintances I have not heard a single person condone the destruction and mindless violence.

It makes me wonder if the image of American's being Trump worshiping morons is accurate?, since most if not all of this impression comes from Social Media and a few short (and possibly selective) reports on mainstream media.

AndyRM

Elder Goth

If it wasn't my habit to watch the news each day, and, browse the internet, I would be oblivious to the "riots", even through some took place a mere 6-8 miles from where I live.

In my circle of friends/acquaintances I have not heard a single person condone the destruction and mindless violence.

It makes me wonder if the image of American's being Trump worshiping morons is accurate?, since most if not all of this impression comes from Social Media and a few short (and possibly selective) reports on mainstream media.

Like the UK, the US in the middle ground is pretty level headed, which is where most peoples beliefs lie. But the nutters on the left and the right are the ones who get clicks and traction.

Most people are capable are seeing that, but there are those unfortunates who accept it as reality.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Like the UK, the US in the middle ground is pretty level headed, which is where most peoples beliefs lie. But the nutters on the left and the right are the ones who get clicks and traction.

Most people are capable are seeing that, but there are those unfortunates who accept it as reality.

Having visited, lived -in and worked in a number of Countries (including USA), my point exactly.

True, I suppose. So you get a last minute holiday visa to the UK then overstay your visa and claim asylum? I expect there are such cases but realistically most arrivals aren't gay doctors. Which isn't to say they aren't worthy of giving refugee status to, but the They could be doctors and engineers narrative is as daft as the They could be murderers and rapists narrative.

I honestly don't think that is true. People often seek asylum in the UK because it is the only chance a low skilled migrant has of staying here, especially if they have been refused elsewhere in the EU. You would be daft not to go down the refugee status route once you're here. It's your only avenue, whether you're an economic migrant or a genuine refugee.

There's possibly an argument to be made for taking more low skilled non refugee immigration, but that's a hard sell to the public in the current circumstances.

How do you get a UK holiday visa in Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan or Sudan?

People come to the UK because they have family or kith/kin here in established communities. The English language is another pull factor is is the spread of our former Empire overseas.

All uphill

Absolutely.

I had a stroll round our town centre at 10pm yesterday. There was me, one homeless chap with whom I had a nice chat, and one guy staggering along outside Wetherspoons.

Not a single car burning, no police, no angry shouters.

You'll be glad to know I made it home safely.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Absolutely.

I had a stroll round our town centre at 10pm yesterday. There was me, one homeless chap with whom I had a nice chat, and one guy staggering along outside Wetherspoons.

FB_IMG_1722776470391.jpg

bobzmyunkle

Absolutely.

All the same, I know people who are wary of going out at the moment for fear of coming across @CXRAndy's pissed up chums. To some extent I think they're being a bit over cautious. However, as an overweight bald white bloke that's easy for me to say - the reactionary blockheads would probably mistake me for one of their own.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
From what I've read in general, the message from the EDL bellends seems to be "Take back our country".

And give it to who, exactly? You c*nts?

Thanks, but no thanks.

Reactions: C R

All uphill

All the same, I know people who are wary of going out at the moment for fear of coming across @CXRAndy's pissed up chums. To some extent I think they're being a bit over cautious. However, as an overweight bald white bloke that's easy for me to say - the reactionary blockheads would probably mistake me for one of their own.

I agree and worry for the many people who have come here to work in our local hospital. After a twelve hour shift, looking after boomers like me, they have to walk or cycle home, not knowing whether they are safe.

Top Bottom