Trans athletes in sport....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cirrus

Your "Funny as Cancer" awards are the Baftas.
My "Bonios" are the Oscars.
Deal with it.
Probs need to stop digging compadre

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Sarah Symington, Head of British Cycling's Olympic programme, has added her name to a letter to the UCI asking that the rule that would allow Emily Bridges to compete in the Women's category be rescinded:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/s...ansgender-riders-competing-womens-events.html

It's increasingly clear that female athletes were neither consulted or considered when governing bodies made these decisions based on lobbying rather than following the science.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
British Cycling have today suspended their policy on the inclusion of transgender athletes in competition, pending review.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/seaningle/status/1512370811402960898

Rather disingenuous of them to suggest the original decision on inclusion was made after wide consultation. The fact that top women cyclists were prepared to refuse to race last week suggests BC either didn't consult them last year or ignored any objections.

They certainly ignored the science and the Sports Council's Equality Group guidance. This is what happens when you let lobbyists set policy.

matticus

Guru
<whispers> I'm at a meeting with local BC woman on Monday night - do you have any questions for her?? <evil grin>

matticus

Guru
Maybe this wasn't a good idea ...

presta

Most of us have to make difficult decisions from time to time, and the reason that they're difficult is that the options come with disadvantages as well as advantages. I think anyone who thinks they're only ever going to be presented with choices that have no disadvantages, or that they're going to make others responsible for their own choices isn't being realistic. I don't think you can expect women to just stand by whilst they're made the perpetual losers.

This all makes me think of another elephant in the room: the Paralympics. I don't think it's possible to quantify peoples disabilities to such a fine degree that nobody ends up with an 'unfair' advantage in their category. Remember all the fuss over Oscar Pistorius's blades? There's only a 10ms difference between first and second place, even if it were possible, you'd end up with everyone alone in a category all by themselves. I'd be really interested to see a comparison of the medal distribution between disabled and able-bodied athletes, my guess is that there will be a much higher incidence among the disabled of one person winning most of the medals.

Can a woman have a penis?
I can think of few that have had mine.

Can a woman have a penis?
Yes but it’s none of your damn business for most purposes.

Is there a potential conflict in some areas of life including the competitive sport that is the subject of this thread? Yes, but it’s not based on penis possession.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
This all makes me think of another elephant in the room: the Paralympics. I don't think it's possible to quantify peoples disabilities to such a fine degree that nobody ends up with an 'unfair' advantage in their category. Remember all the fuss over Oscar Pistorius's blades? There's only a 10ms difference between first and second place, even if it were possible, you'd end up with everyone alone in a category all by themselves. I'd be really interested to see a comparison of the medal distribution between disabled and able-bodied athletes, my guess is that there will be a much higher incidence among the disabled of one person winning most of the medals.

I think it's going to be an increasing issue as the profile of the Paralympics rises and the opportunities increase for successful disabled athletes. It can open the door to other jobs and attract sponsorship.

It's part of the reason US swimmers can't speak out about Lia Thomas - they could lose scholarships, risk the chance of not being selected, be blacklisted for employment etc.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Yes but it’s none of your damn business for most purposes.

Is there a potential conflict in some areas of life including the competitive sport that is the subject of this thread? Yes, but it’s not based on penis possession.

What is the conflict based on, in your opinion, if it's not about preserving single sex spaces for women, including preserving the category of Women's sports for biological females? This can only be done by excluding males, regardless of how they identify. Anything else is a mixed sex space or a mixed sex sport.

What is the conflict based on, in your opinion
Fear, I think. I’m not dismissive of that - if you feel it, you feel it - but I do tend to take a steer from the women I’m closest to. They’re not particularly bothered by the bathroom thing so I find I’m not either.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Fear, I think. I’m not dismissive of that - if you feel it, you feel it - but I do tend to take a steer from the women I’m closest to. They’re not particularly bothered by the bathroom thing so I find I’m not either.
Are the ladies in your life all grown up though? I wonder if you may feel slightly different if your 7 year old granddaughter was in the leisure centre changing rooms and a bloke with a cock on display was in the communal changing area with her?

Top Bottom