War with Russia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
great power politics is largely governed by the law of the jungle, as my last two posts explained / proved.
I agree with you here when you look at the terrible record of the US, and also the UK, in the middle East. Geopolitics is a mess, but we are where we are and who is going to stop the narrative of enmity and war? Russia certainly is not ready to do so as demonstrated by its illegal invasion, on top of its other invasions in recent years.
but it should be obvious to even a simpleton that Zellensky took the biscuit - that, is Ukraine's tragedy.
Was that the biscuit that Russia offered him by sending troops into Ukraine for a "special operation". Perhaps he should not have taken the biscuit but just let Russia invade. Right up until the last minute Zelensky did not believe that Russia was planning the invasion.
Pall that mattered was whether he and his people (not you or I) felt adequately threatened by Western primarily US' hostility and acts over time
It Is not enough to 'feel' threatened, there has to be some evidence that that threat is real. Ukraine was never a threat to Russia, especially not its borders, and there was no likelihood of Ukraine being given NATO membership. Ironically the invasion of Ukraine has made it more likely that countries bordering Russia will join NATO...and who can blame them. It is also possible that Putin needs to claim via his stranglehold on power and the internal media, that the West/NATO wants to somehow destroy Russia, to justify the war and maintain support for it to his people.

It is pointless for you to use the debate between Mearsheimer and Bildt as proof positive that you are correct as people who do not agree with you will equally say that Bildt was correct. It was a debate and both sides were describing their truth.

The five assumptions in the Hungary talk are interesting, with a lot of truth, but provide only an explanation of why geopolitics are a mess, and dangerous, rather than an explanation of how things can improved or what Russia/Ukraine/The West can do to resolve this current crisis.

I notice from that talk that in your post above you have virtually used Mearsheimer's words as your own about Russia not needing justification for its actions.

Reactions: C R

multitool

It's bollocks. Unmitigated bollocks.

RecordAce is trying to use western intervention in Iraq/Afghanistan as justification for Russia's invasion of Ukraine, without realising that he has trapped himself in a contradiction. If western invasion of Iraq was wrong, then so is Russia's invasion of Ukraine. The hypocrisy of the west is neither here nor there.

Rusty is quite correct in noting that if Russia is using NATO encroachment as justification then it has been self-defeating as Sweden and Finland are now seeking to expedite joining NATO. Equally, those former Eastern bloc countries who have already joined NATO will see Russia's actions as proof that their decisions were correct.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

I don't mean to be rude, but like most views in this thread and in our mass media, yours couldn't be further from prima facie evidence, and the truth.

The West, led by the US, have been trying their very best to ensure Ukraine can't "win", and to ensure Putin knows it.

How can this not be blindingly obvious? If the US/Western allies had wanted otherwise, they would have sent the overwhelmingly superior lethal hardware at their disposal to help Ukraine, wouldn't they? Yet they have refrained from doing so for 12 months, ensuring Ukraine remains a killing field, and increasingly a wasteland. Why?

The evidence, logic and reality were clearly dissected by Mearsheimer here, as part of a debate.

Since the reality today was predictable before the war, before 2018, before 2014, and even in 1991 when the USSR fell apart, Ukraine's suffering today is but another sobering reminder of Kissinger's observation below, if the cost of living crisis is not already:

View attachment 3066

I don't think it is an exaggeration to say the actual full debate addresses one of the most important, if not the most important, issues on earth today. A link to it, including a transcript, is here. Mearsheimer's opposite number, Carl Bildt and indeed the "moderator" made pretty much all the points opined by most here and in the West. Therefore perhaps many might be surprised by how overwhelmingly one-sided the comments on the full debate on Youtube have been - the result of self-centred, fantastical opinions vs an analysis based on facts in and logic, imho.

I’m delighted to see someone with a brain actually knows what’s going on here. Too many are brain washed by their governments controlled main stream media who don’t have real objective journalists. Just shills to spread their narrative.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
I’m delighted to see someone with a brain actually knows what’s going on here. Too many are brain washed by their governments controlled main stream media who don’t have real objective journalists. Just shills to spread their narrative.

mmkpwhmngny.gif

Did your mole tell you that?

Last edited:

stowie

How can this not be blindingly obvious? If the US/Western allies had wanted otherwise, they would have sent the overwhelmingly superior lethal hardware at their disposal to help Ukraine, wouldn't they? Yet they have refrained from doing so for 12 months, ensuring Ukraine remains a killing field, and increasingly a wasteland. Why?

Full NATO capability would quite possibly bring the Ukraine conflict as it stands to a quick and very bloody resolution. But the complexities about doing this are quite clear.

1) Ukraine Army has limited training and infrastructure to operate and maintain this type of weaponry. Training takes years for Typhoon pilots and ground crew. Infrastructure for operating complex weapons is large. Ukraine needs weapons now, and that would involve NATO directly engaged in fighting Russia.

2) Ukraine usage of weaponry. So far weapons have been defensive and there is concern that once Ukraine has the ability to strike deep into Russian territory that would escalate the war very quickly out of control.

3) Escalation of war even if used within Ukraine territory. Overwhelming firepower would turn Ukraine into a slaughterhouse for Russian soldiers and thus make Putin's position very unstable indeed and possibly push the war out of control.

There are Machiavellian possibilities as well.

Whilst Russia is committing war crimes in Ukraine, the Western alliance against Putin holds and this contains Putin both militarily and economically. Whilst Putin is stuck in Ukraine, he is unable to make trouble elsewhere. Taking this Machiavellian train of thought forward, it could be imagined that supporting separatist movements within Russia would be a means to the end of weakening Putin and consequently Russia's ability to engage outside its borders. Plus Russia being mired in an endless war with no means of winning even though NATO are supplying modest weaponry might be thought to give the Chinese executive pause for thought over Taiwan - a country that has an armed force far more sophisticated than Ukraine's with training and close co-operation with NATO and the US in particular.

Taking the counter argument which calls for a peace settlement now. This would almost certainly involve Ukraine ceding at least the territory occupied by Russia before the latest invasion. The chances of Russia adhering to the settlement is zero. It would be used a welcome breathing time and propaganda coup for Putin whilst he re-organised troops to invade more Ukraine territory. It is clear that Russia cannot take and hold the whole of Ukraine but piecemeal is perfectly possible with the cover of deniability such as in Crimea . The only way a peace would hold is if NATO defended the new borders with Ukraine joining NATO immediately. Possible, but in itself an escalation. Or the West just accepts Ukraine becomes a vassal state of Putin's new Russia and then we all have to worry about Russia at a whole new series of borders.

D

Deleted member 121

I've been gone almost 1 year. Much has happened. Still, The RecordAce NPC is still saying the same old stuff.

Mr Celine

No, he died suddenly.

Was he defenestrated?

I agree with you here when you look at the terrible record of the US, and also the UK, in the middle East. Geopolitics is a mess, but we are where we are and who is going to stop the narrative of enmity and war? Russia certainly is not ready to do so as demonstrated by its illegal invasion, on top of its other invasions in recent years.

Was that the biscuit that Russia offered him by sending troops into Ukraine for a "special operation". Perhaps he should not have taken the biscuit but just let Russia invade. Right up until the last minute Zelensky did not believe that Russia was planning the invasion.

It Is not enough to 'feel' threatened, there has to be some evidence that that threat is real. Ukraine was never a threat to Russia, especially not its borders, and there was no likelihood of Ukraine being given NATO membership. Ironically the invasion of Ukraine has made it more likely that countries bordering Russia will join NATO...and who can blame them. It is also possible that Putin needs to claim via his stranglehold on power and the internal media, that the West/NATO wants to somehow destroy Russia, to justify the war and maintain support for it to his people.

It is pointless for you to use the debate between Mearsheimer and Bildt as proof positive that you are correct as people who do not agree with you will equally say that Bildt was correct. It was a debate and both sides were describing their truth.

The five assumptions in the Hungary talk are interesting, with a lot of truth, but provide only an explanation of why geopolitics are a mess, and dangerous, rather than an explanation of how things can improved or what Russia/Ukraine/The West can do to resolve this current crisis.

I notice from that talk that in your post above you have virtually used Mearsheimer's words as your own about Russia not needing justification for its actions.

Regarding threat felt by Russia, please see my response to Stowie below. Regarding Zelensky taking the biscuit, with hindsight, if you were him, would you have picked military neutrality, or is what he decided to do still the right decision, or some better option you care to explain?

I don't use the Mearsheimer v Bildt debate as "proof" that I am correct - I am just a student of politics using what I learnt from intellects like him (to whom I have clearly attributed - but all mistakes are mine). I greatly welcome all cogent challenges - isn't this one purpose of a forum like this?

Glad you like the 5 assumptions. I think it is important not to confuse what has been since the beginning of mankind, with what we like it to be. I think our discourse of the mess (as you say, in geopolitics) is seriously distorted by refusing to seeing and saying what is. How can one have clear eyes for what is best under the circumstance, if one starts off with the wrong premise (e.g. ignoring system is anarchic with zero prospect of change in foreseeable future) and wrong measure of success (e.g. it's a battle of good vs evil and like all Disney cartoons good must prevail)?

It's bollocks. Unmitigated bollocks.

RecordAce is trying to use western intervention in Iraq/Afghanistan as justification for Russia's invasion of Ukraine, without realising that he has trapped himself in a contradiction. If western invasion of Iraq was wrong, then so is Russia's invasion of Ukraine. The hypocrisy of the west is neither here nor there.

Rusty is quite correct in noting that if Russia is using NATO encroachment as justification then it has been self-defeating as Sweden and Finland are now seeking to expedite joining NATO. Equally, those former Eastern bloc countries who have already joined NATO will see Russia's actions as proof that their decisions were correct.

Goodness. You can be hard work.

I never said Western crimes justify Russian crimes - I have said in more ways than one that moral justification is nearly irrelevant in geopolitics - except by politicians or the press to enrol citizens to their cause (in both the East and West alike).

I disagree hypocrisy is neither here nor there when "supporters" like you insist one side good other side bad while spewing moralistic opinions, because you then become part of the problem that obfuscate truth and solutions.

I think, unlike Ukraine, modern Sweden and Finland aren't hostile to Russia, so their NATO membership and increased military expenditures are moot in Russian eyes. Chance is it will cause increased economic headwind for the two countries for zero benefit. A weak Russia can't be an imperialist Russia - that's the gist of Putin's reference re heart / brain on the passing of USSR (see below).

Let's assume that Putin's primary motivation for the Ukraine war is security of Russian borders. I don't believe this, and think it is much more to do with Putin's narcissistic desire for a legacy harking back to the USSR but it is worth considering this motivation.

Russia has a geographic problem on the western border and has done for centuries. Defending it is incredibly difficult and impossible for Russia with its poor infrastructure.

Occupation of Ukraine does nothing for Russian western border security. It would merely be a stepping stone to get to the countries that would provide geographic security.

To provide Russia with geographic security would take most of Eastern Europe and quite possibly a bit out of Western Europe as well. And it would have to be assumed that for Russia to be secure these areas would need to have administrations highly compliant and dependent upon Russia and Putin.

To give Russia a feeling of security would require approximately 180M people living under regimes similar to that in Belarus.

Stowie like you I don't believe it is just about Russian borders either.

Logically, if US, which has by far the most powerful military on earth, still needs to invade sovereign countries, sponsor colour revolutions, wage proxy wars, impose sanctions and corral others to contain "foes" on the other side of the planet, all partly if not wholly "for security", why do you struggle to find Russian justification, given they are weaker, so less "secure"? And why at the receiving end of a long hostile US, they wouldn't do likewise to squish a US armed and trained thorn on their side, also "for security"?

Have you been trying to find a legal and moral justification (and hence subconsciously imposing a standard they are bound to fail) for Russia's invasion? That's not useful for geopolitics, because it is anarchic.

Similarly, I think those who say Russia is weak (like you have), while believing Putin has imperial design (as you say) and therefore other Europeans are threatened if Russia is unprovoked should make up their mind which is true - what is obvious is such logically contradictory narratives do explain why all our foes must also be mad megalomaniacs. I also think it hard to reconcile someone who said "Anyone who doesn't regret the passing of the Soviet Union has no heart. Anyone who wants it restored has no brain." as a narcissistic expansionist (as you say you believe). A cornered beast more like, imho.

I hope you don't mind me saying this since you often write thoughtful posts, but don't comments such as yours illuminate how emotionally invested so many here are in this fight, that they have lost the ability to look at the situation objectively? Of course Russian invasion of its weaker neighbour is immoral, but isn't the country leading the fight against them the biggest, most murderous bully on earth? So how is this a fight of good vs evil, and why not consider the likelihood (voiced by numerous senior Western security officials for decades) that if the world's biggest bully had left the lesser bully alone, and ensured Ukraine staying neutral militarily, the devastation today would not have happened?

Regarding your latest post - I can't figure out from your train of thought whether you agree or disagree with me that the West can't let Ukraine "win". There was a superior Machiavellian possibility for the US - clue is China is a FAR stronger competitor than Russia. I have commented already re your belief of Russian imperialistic design. Regarding potential settlement, do try a thought experiment - if Minsk 1 or 2 had been fulfilled by Ukraine (i.e. not as a ruse by Ukraine signing them just to buy time as Merkel and Hollande said recently), would the war have happened?

I shan't be responding to blokes like Ship shape Dave - I found since very little that people who only play the man, not the ball are best ignored.

It's not for the US or Russia to decide whether Ukraine is neutral or not. Putin doesn't even consider Ukraine to be a sovereign nation.

Dunno if you have noticed, they have already snuffed out hundreds of thousands of lives, laid much of Ukraine to waste, created 8 millions refugees, spent hundreds of $billions, made you pay exorbitant prices for essentials, with no end in sight, so that they can decide. And you don't think they will?

Despite duty bound to play the cards he was dealt as best he could for his people, think Zelensky had the same idea as you. You happy with that?

If you or those who like your post think neither of the two bullies will decide, why don't you explain who is going to convince them that they can't?

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Dunno if you have noticed, they have already snuffed out hundreds of thousands of lives, laid much of Ukraine to waste, created 8 millions refugees, spent hundreds of $billions, made you pay exorbitant prices for essentials, with no end in sight, so that they can decide. And you don't think they will?

Despite duty bound to play the cards he was dealt as best he could for his people, think Zelensky had the same idea as you. You happy with that?

If you or those who like your post think neither of the two bullies will decide, why don't you explain who is going to convince them that they can't?

Nobody can be happy with anything that has gone on.

Was Zelensky wrong to try stop the Russians invading his country and taking over the areas they have?

Should he have just left Russian troops roll into Kyiv and set up a puppet government?

Should he just accept that Russia can now claim ownership of a large and very important part of Ukraine?

Both big powers are trying to increase their influence on Ukraine but only one country instigated the violence and is trying to stop Ukraine's neutrality by invading it. Yes geopolitics is shite and very dangerous but in this one case only one country decided the best way to influence is by violence.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Regarding threat felt by Russia, please see my response to Stowie below. Regarding Zelensky taking the biscuit, with hindsight, if you were him, would you have picked military neutrality, or is what he decided to do still the right decision, or some better option you care to explain?

I don't use the Mearsheimer v Bildt debate as "proof" that I am correct - I am just a student of politics using what I learnt from intellects like him (to whom I have clearly attributed - but all mistakes are mine). I greatly welcome all cogent challenges - isn't this one purpose of a forum like this?

Glad you like the 5 assumptions. I think it is important not to confuse what has been since the beginning of mankind, with what we like it to be. I think our discourse of the mess (as you say, in geopolitics) is seriously distorted by refusing to seeing and saying what is. How can one have clear eyes for what is best under the circumstance, if one starts off with the wrong premise (e.g. ignoring system is anarchic with zero prospect of change in foreseeable future) and wrong measure of success (e.g. it's a battle of good vs evil and like all Disney cartoons good must prevail)?

Goodness. You can be hard work.

I never said Western crimes justify Russian crimes - I have said in more ways than one that moral justification is nearly irrelevant in geopolitics - except by politicians or the press to enrol citizens to their cause (in both the East and West alike).

I disagree hypocrisy is neither here nor there when "supporters" like you insist one side good other side bad while spewing moralistic opinions, because you then become part of the problem that obfuscate truth and solutions.

I think, unlike Ukraine, modern Sweden and Finland aren't hostile to Russia, so their NATO membership and increased military expenditures are moot in Russian eyes. Chance is it will cause increased economic headwind for the two countries for zero benefit. A weak Russia can't be an imperialist Russia - that's the gist of Putin's reference re heart / brain on the passing of USSR (see below).

Stowie like you I don't believe it is just about Russian borders either.

Logically, if US, which has by far the most powerful military on earth, still needs to invade sovereign countries, sponsor colour revolutions, wage proxy wars, impose sanctions and corral others to contain "foes" on the other side of the planet, all partly if not wholly "for security", why do you struggle to find Russian justification, given they are weaker, so less "secure"? And why at the receiving end of a long hostile US, they wouldn't do likewise to squish a US armed and trained thorn on their side, also "for security"?

Have you been trying to find a legal and moral justification (and hence subconsciously imposing a standard they are bound to fail) for Russia's invasion? That's not useful for geopolitics, because it is anarchic.

Similarly, I think those who say Russia is weak (like you have), while believing Putin has imperial design (as you say) and therefore other Europeans are threatened if Russia is unprovoked should make up their mind which is true - what is obvious is such logically contradictory narratives do explain why all our foes must also be mad megalomaniacs. I also think it hard to reconcile someone who said "Anyone who doesn't regret the passing of the Soviet Union has no heart. Anyone who wants it restored has no brain." as a narcissistic expansionist (as you say you believe). A cornered beast more like, imho.

I hope you don't mind me saying this since you often write thoughtful posts, but don't comments such as yours illuminate how emotionally invested so many here are in this fight, that they have lost the ability to look at the situation objectively? Of course Russian invasion of its weaker neighbour is immoral, but isn't the country leading the fight against them the biggest, most murderous bully on earth? So how is this a fight of good vs evil, and why not consider the likelihood (voiced by numerous senior Western security officials for decades) that if the world's biggest bully had left the lesser bully alone, and ensured Ukraine staying neutral militarily, the devastation today would not have happened?

Regarding your latest post - I can't figure out from your train of thought whether you agree or disagree with me that the West can't let Ukraine "win". There was a superior Machiavellian possibility for the US - clue is China is a FAR stronger competitor than Russia. I have commented already re your belief of Russian imperialistic design. Regarding potential settlement, do try a thought experiment - if Minsk 1 or 2 had been fulfilled by Ukraine (i.e. not as a ruse by Ukraine signing them just to buy time as Merkel and Hollande said recently), would the war have happened?

I shan't be responding to blokes like Ship shape Dave - I found since very little that people who only play the man, not the ball are best ignored.

It’s refreshing to see somebody on here who can see it for what it actually is. Most on here follow the main stream media narrative. We broke the Minsk agreement, no wonder the bear invaded after been poked by a sharp stick too many times. In a few years peace talks will happen & we’ll be back trading with Russia.

Top Bottom