War with Russia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 49

There actually quite good in it. The Turkey - Russia war was also averted after their negotiations.
Where's your sarcasm emoji ? Or does asking Ukraine to surrender absolve them of war crimes....we should be sanctioning them as we have Russia !

I just read these news items on Sky News:

Zelenskyy offers further hope of breakthrough after revealing 'concrete' topics being discussed in negotiations

Details are very brief at this stage but, further to our previous post, Ukraine's president appears to have offered another signal that there may have been some significant developments in negotiations.

We don't yet have the full quote from Volodymyr Zelenskyy, but Reuters is reporting him as saying Russian and Ukrainian teams have begun discussing "concrete" proposals rather than "exchanging ultimatums".

Again, these remarks closely follow news of a 75-minute conversation between Vladimir Putin, French president Emmanuel Macron and German leader Olaf Scholz about efforts to "end the war" - details of which all sides are being intriguingly coy about.

We will bring you more information on this all as soon as we get it.

Putin holds 75-minute call with Macron and Scholz about how 'to end war in Ukraine'

In recent minutes, a couple of intriguing and potentially significant pieces of news have emerged around geopolitical efforts to bring the conflict in Ukraine to a halt.

While French president Emmanuel Macron has been speaking to the Russian leader almost every other day in recent weeks, the pair were joined in a 75-minute phone call today by German Chancellor Olaf Scholz.

A German government spokesperson said the conversation was "part of ongoing international efforts to end the war in Ukraine" - interestingly adding that the three men agreed to say nothing further about the substance of the phone call.

Perhaps also significantly, it emerged Mr Scholz had earlier spoken to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy about the situation.

In a separate statement, the Kremlin said Mr Putin told the pair about the state of negotiations between Moscow and Kyiv and responded to their concerns about the humanitarian situation.

The Kremlin did not elaborate on the Russian leader's comments about the state of talks, but, as reported here at the time, he said yesterday that there had been "certain positive shifts" in the negotiations.

While it is impossible to accurately gauge exactly how meaningful these latest developments might be, the nature of the various statements will foster renewed hopes that key figures may be making progress in efforts to find a diplomatic resolution that could end the conflict.

Let us hope all this is genuine progress.

Edit: Sorry about the font. Could not change it.
Diplomatic talks: A call between the French, German and Russian leaders did not produce any concrete results. President Emmanuel Macron and Chancellor Olaf Schulz asked for a ceasefire but Vladimir Putin did not show any willingness to end the war in Ukraine, Mr Macron's office says.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
I have just read a claim in an article in American Conservative stating that Reuters are reporting that Facebook and Instagram are temporarily allowing users to employ what is normally "hate speech" if it is directed against Russia and Russians ("death to Russian soldiers" type stuff). This applies to several countries in eastern Europe.

Twitter deleted a Russian version of the Mariupol hospital story. The Russian version may or may not be untrue, but the hypocrisy if these claims are true, which they appear to be from a quick search, on the part of western social media is quite breathtaking. Modern secular insanity when you consider that, for example, believing marriage is only ever between a man and a woman is now starting to be considered hate speech.

I have just read a claim in an article in American Conservative stating that Reuters are reporting that Facebook and Instagram are temporarily allowing users to employ what is normally "hate speech" if it is directed against Russia and Russians ("death to Russian soldiers" type stuff). This applies to several countries in eastern Europe.

Twitter deleted a Russian version of the Mariupol hospital story. The Russian version may or may not be untrue, but the hypocrisy if these claims are true, which they appear to be from a quick search, on the part of western social media is quite breathtaking. Modern secular insanity when you consider that, for example, believing marriage is only ever between a man and a woman is now starting to be considered hate speech.
Nothing like taking the moral high-ground is there....

Mugshot

Über Member
Modern secular insanity when you consider that, for example, believing marriage is only ever between a man and a woman is now starting to be considered hate speech.
These days...

In fairness, crowbarring that into this thread is quite impressive... is that the phrase I'm looking for... no, farking ludicrous, that's the one.
Bravo sir.

qigong chimp

Settler of gobby hash.
These days, if you say you're English...

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
These days...

In fairness, crowbarring that into this thread is quite impressive... is that the phrase I'm looking for... no, farking ludicrous, that's the one.
Bravo sir.
I think there's been a misunderstanding of the thread title. The phrase 'War with Russia' is perhaps open to misinterpretation. 'War involving Russia' or even 'War against Russia' might have been a little clearer.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
By the way, a more detailed and contextualised account of Meta's decision can be found doing a quick search on the Internet, and you'll be spared from American Conservative's whataboutary.
I have never read American Conservative except for two articles someone linked to a couple of days ago. Not my usual port of call.

Despite your prejudice in fact it gave precisely the same information as the Guardian did. Left and right leanings in this instance didn't matter.
I can up to a point see why you have not noticed the connection. The American Conservative article was about a subject so incendiary that it can no longer be discussed rationally on media - even here NACA has to be quarantined from the rest of the forum due to moderation problems. The hate speech part was an addition to the main article.

An innocuous statement about marriage is now being construed as hatred (I have an actual example in mind) whilst actual hatred, in this case of Russians, is now being permitted by social media that otherwise are proud of their stand against 'hate speech'. Hatred is morally wrong except when it is directed against someone you passionately disagree with. Allowing people to vent hatred of Russia is not going to improve things.

The Russian propaganda fed to the population is believed by many, especially older people, and the West rightly complains at the censorship and violent suppression of dissenting opinions. At the same time the West closes down RT, and its social media censor the likes of Trump or Russian embassy tweets. I don't like either of the latter, but this is a dangerous road to go down, especially if those doing this are in the process of calling good evil and evil good. Instead of the pubic having free access to all viewpoints, even distasteful ones, and being able to make up their own minds, information is being filtered before it gets to them. This is not a healthy development. The West is nothing like as bad as Russia, but there is a similar totalitarian mindset in operation.
War with Russia and that's your take? Jesus Christ.
And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars; see that you are not alarmed; for this must take place, but the end is not yet. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and there will be famines and earthquakes in various places: all this is but the beginning of the birth-pangs.

Last edited:

PaulB

We've put our names forward to house refugees in our home but the hoops we're being asked to jump through! We did expect once on the list, we would be provided with names and categories of refugees wanting to come to the UK but no, you have to find your own refugees and you're given no help with that. No help at all. It's one of those, you'll have to do it despite our government's resistance rather than with their assistance.

mudsticks

Squire
We've put our names forward to house refugees in our home but the hoops we're being asked to jump through! We did expect once on the list, we would be provided with names and categories of refugees wanting to come to the UK but no, you have to find your own refugees and you're given no help with that. No help at all. It's one of those, you'll have to do it despite our government's resistance rather than with their assistance.

Good for you , I'm sorry, but not surprised to hear it's proving so difficult.

Top Bottom