War with Russia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Patronising much?
Probably yes, although I know his support is not 100% in Russia

Other than a military dictatorship the people of all countries get the government they want, or at least can accept. Putin is voted in with huge majorities and there is, apparently, no widespread dissent against this war special operation.
Are they duped or complicit? I hope it is duped.

D

Deleted member 49

I think he's polling the highest he's been since he annexed Crimea ?

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

The fog of war has never been so thick. I’m certain war crimes have been committed on both sides. Bush & Blair should be convicted first and then Putin.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
I realise that my personal experience of working (1990s) in Russia are probably not statistically significant (with a population of approx 140million, I met, perhaps c100). I found the. Russians I met seemed to recognise they had been conned by their government (of course, I had a similar experience of realising that perhaps, our Government had not been entirely truthful). The difference I noted was that they (the Russians) seemed recognise that they could do little to change things, where-as I continue to think we possibly can (perhaps I am over optimistic).

However, I do agree, the chances of bringing Putin to trial, for what he has done, are pretty slim. That doesn't mean we should not seek to bring charges against him, and, generally, make life as difficult as possible for him (IMHO).
Interesting take on things from someone who has been there.

What sort of people were you working with? I seem to remember you worked in IT.

qigong chimp

Settler of gobby hash.
I dunno about that: in this game Mother Teresa's the equivalent of a very weak second serve.

So standing well inside the baseline to receive I wind up and.. Biff!!

1649106015221.png

Ian H

Guru

Other than a military dictatorship the people of all countries get the government they want, or at least can accept. Putin is voted in with huge majorities and there is, apparently, no widespread dissent against this war special operation.
It's relatively easy to win a majority when you have disqualified, poisoned and/or imprisoned most of the opposition.

This episode of Analysis is subtitled The Dictator’s Survival Guide. It was repeated only a couple of days ago and offers some insights into how this happens. Well worth investing half an hour.

How do dictators and authoritarians stay in power? James Tilley, a professor of politics at Oxford University, finds out what's in the dictators' survival guide. How do they control ordinary people and stop revolts? How do they stop rivals from taking over? And how do they manipulate apparently democratic procedures like elections - such as the notoriously fraudulent 2004 vote in Ukraine - to secure their rule? This is another chance to hear a programme, originally broadcast in 2018, that has acquired new relevance.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b09sn5f8

Ian H

Guru
Do they, or do they disregard the obvious lies because of some screwed up (and cultivated) team loyalty? They know Johnson is lying but they price it in because at least he’s not one of that other lot.
I was thinking of more basic stuff such as our glorious (former) empire and the grateful Commonwealth, or fuel and food poverty is unfortunate but necessary.

Top Bottom