World gone mad!

• Thread starter Deleted member 28
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Squire
Which highlights how it has been co-opted to reinforce the norms of a patriarchal society.

People look at me a bit funny if I say I'm taking a one, or two woman tent.camping.

But no one bats an eyelid if I (as a woman) say I'm taking a one man tent .

'Man' as the default norm, the doer, the possessor ..

It's the water we swim in so routinely, most folk don't even notice...

But it's all around us.

The fact that it sometimes sounds 'clunky' when we try to gender neutralise our language tells us all we need to know about what is, and has been seen as the 'primary' gender..

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
People look at me a bit funny if I say I'm taking a one, or two woman tent.camping.

But no one bats an eyelid if I (as a woman) say I'm taking a one man tent .

'Man' as the default norm, the doer, the possessor ..

It's the water we swim in so routinely, most folk don't even notice...

But it's all around us.

The fact that it sometimes sounds 'clunky' when we try to gender neutralise our language tells us all we need to know about what is, and has been seen as the 'primary' gender..

I don’t think the word man is the problem here, more the loss of its neutrality. Maybe if we still used wer and wif (or whatever they could have grown into) to make the distinction where necessary and left man alone, the use of man in those relic terms such as two man tent, four man crew, or manholes would not have the exclusionary tone it now has.

MrGrumpy

Regular
I don’t think the word man is the problem here, more the loss of its neutrality. Maybe if we still used wer and wif (or whatever they could have grown into) to make the distinction where necessary and left man alone, the use of man in those relic terms such as two man tent, four man crew, or manholes would not have the exclusionary tone it now has.

Nobody gave it a thought at all until , folk all of a sudden we’re offended by the use of certain gender terms in items/things. We have bigger problems that need addressed other than what a supermarket decides to call their non binary/queer/lesbian/gay gingerbread ( insert pro noun of choice :-)

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Nobody gave it a thought at all until , folk all of a sudden we’re offended by the use of certain gender terms in items/things. We have bigger problems that need addressed other than what a supermarket decides to call their non binary/queer/lesbian/gay gingerbread ( insert pro noun of choice :-)

Those are adjectives.

Top Bottom