World gone mad!

• Thread starter Deleted member 28
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Squire
Maybe to some product names , I'll have a think..

But at least we seem to have moved away from all domestic appliances, and household products being marketed solely at women..

I'm old enough to remember such carp as "Hands that do dishes, can be as soft as your face" etc.

Sadly we seem to have regressed on the girls / boys, toys / clothes distinction, since I was a kid..

Progress is rarely linear, unfortunately.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Mildly interesting factoid: before the word ‘man’ came to be used for male adults it simply meant adult human being, either male or female.

Effectively, it still does, in words like “mankind”, Doesn’t it?

But, my comment was joking.

mudsticks

Squire
Mildly interesting factoid: before the word ‘man’ came to be used for male adults it simply meant adult human being, either male or female.

But even if it were taken to mean that once upon a time, it would have been in a time well before females were ever regarded as fully equal adult human beings, or treated as such, so the 'supposed' gender neutrality of the language wouldn't really translate to any useful neutrality in life..

I think I need to go for a run ....

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
But even if it were taken to mean that once upon a time, it would have been in a time well before females were ever regarded as fully equal adult human beings, or treated as such, so the 'supposed' gender neutrality of the language wouldn't really translate to any useful neutrality in life..

I think I need to go for a run ....

Man was a neutral term for adult humans, the words wer and wif were used to denote the male and female genders but gradually wer was replaced by man to mean what it does today. The wer part still lives on in werewolf though.

Top Bottom