Food banks: A first hand experience.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Über Member
An update, both bad and good!

The bad first - once again my bank have screwed me. Part of the problem is that the few outgoings I have, beyond existing, don't come at consistent times. This makes it near impossible to manage finances when you're on a very tight budget.

Another issue when it comes to managing finances is the cost of travel. I don't drive, I cycle or walk to the shops or other appointments, but if I have to go into town for any reason, it's £5.70 on the Metro, which may not sound like a lot, but it really is.

The good is that I've been put forward for a job, ironically enough in Financial Services, which I'm confident I'll get at least an interview for. Of the other 5 I have applied for this month, in my field, rather than the umpteen ones for supermarkets and whatnot, one has me as a potential for interview but the other said no. Though I did get a bit snippy with some answers on that, but some of the questions were downright insulting...

Please, describe in detail, how you have a design qualification at NVQ Level 5 or similar (ie Level 5 award, certificate, diploma or NVQ; Diploma of Higher Education; Foundation Degree; Higher National Diploma).

I mean, what do you say to that? I have a degree in multimedia design and 15 years industry experience in different areas. Look at my portfolio you fools (which incidentally there wasn't an option to do, but I got it into a couple of answers).

Personally I would have read that question as an opportunity to show off the portfolio.

Of course it is easy for me to pontificate, as I am not the one looking for a job in difficult circumstances, but I would say that a relaxed attitude when thinking about the application helps to convey your abilities.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Personally I would have read that question as an opportunity to show off the portfolio.

Of course it is easy for me to pontificate, as I am not the one looking for a job in difficult circumstances, but I would say that a relaxed attitude when thinking about the application helps to convey your abilities.

Yeah, I did in a couple of other questions.

However, the "normal" route to these kinds of jobs is to request a CV and portfolio, not lead with that nonsense.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me
Jesus....guy needs job and is then not happy with the questions from the future employer. You couldn't make this shoot up

And i bet guy will now come back with " what do you know about the job market in my creative area" FFS

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Jesus....guy needs job and is then not happy with the questions from the future employer. You couldn't make this shoot up

And i bet guy will now come back with " what do you know about the job market in my creative area" FFS

I figured it wouldn't take you to bluster in with your nonsense.

Had I put "Here's my portfolio" I would not have been answering the question.

What I actually put was this:

"I graduated from Northumbria University in 2007 with a BA (Hons) in Multimedia Design. Multiple modules were covered across the course, such as; design fundamentals, typography, layout, animation, web design, concept creation, colour theory etc. It was a broad ranging course which has given me a thorough understanding of the importance of attention to detail, clarity of communication and making the effort to make even the smallest piece of design as beautiful as it can be."

And no, you don't know anything about the job market in my creative area, which is graphic design.

For example, today an agency contacted me, sent me details through and as I read through the spec I was thinking "Yep, yep, yep... All standard." Then came "Unreal or Unity experience highly desirable." Which means they want it. Unfortunately, those are highly complex pieces of software generally used for making video games. Totally separate disciplines.

This happens a lot when people are asked to write job specs in my industry, because people don't understand it. I read another one today "Creative Brief Manager", which also asked for design abilities. No, what you need there is a someone who manages your studio, and a designer to work in said studio.

We call 'em Unicorn Jobs, because those people don't exist, or end up attempting to do so many things that they are shite at everything, then get stressed, then burned out. It's happened to me, I've seen it happen to others, and it ain't a pretty sight.

TL;DR - badly worded questions are an instant red flag. You know nothing about the creative industry.

jowwy

I couldnt give a shoot what you put tbh…….

as for knowing nothing about the creative industry….whos the one unemployed??? Maybe you need to learn more about the industry, instead of posting your bullshit on here.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

Elder Goth

as for knowing nothing about the creative industry….whos the one unemployed??? Maybe you need to learn more about the industry, instead of posting your bullshit on here.

I know more than... well, you for a start. But that isn't really saying much.

I don't really know what it is you do know about. Sheds, grass and BBQs is about it?

Well done you!

D

Deleted member 28

We're still to learn what you do for a living apart from owning 'many properties ' yeah right, I suppose there's a bit of money to be made in knocking up pallet furniture.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

For example, today an agency contacted me, sent me details through and as I read through the spec I was thinking "Yep, yep, yep... All standard." Then came "Unreal or Unity experience highly desirable." Which means they want it. Unfortunately, those are highly complex pieces of software generally used for making video games. Totally separate disciplines.

Having actually been unemployed, in the past, I am not minimising your situation, but...

The solution to the bolded bit is (IMHO) apply anyway, emphasising the skills you DO have, if you are fortunate enough to get an interview, be ready with a spiel along the lines of "no, I don't actually have xxx experience, but, I am enthusiastic to learn new skills.. etc etc".

In short, applying and failing to get the job may be disheartening, but, it is not a Capital Offence. ;)

Good luck in your job hunting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Having actually been unemployed, in the past, I am not not minimising your situation, but...

The solution to the bolded bit is (IMHO) apply anyway, emphasising the skills you DO have, if you are fortunate enough to get an interview, be ready with a spiel along the lines of "no, I don't actually have xxx experience, but, I am enthusiastic to learn new skills.. etc etc".

In short, applying and failing to get the job may be disheartening, but, it is not a Capital Offence. ;)

Good luck in your job hunting.

I don't disagree, and I may yet get an interview, we shall see. I'm just realistic. It'd take me months, perhaps longer to get even a little good at that software. Fast paced environment and all that. But I appreciate your sentiments.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I don't disagree, and I may yet get an interview, we shall see. I'm just realistic. It'd take me months, perhaps longer to get even a little good at that software. Fast paced environment and all that. But I appreciate your sentiments.

Think positive, and, again, good luck. Being unemployed is not fun, in my experience.

jowwy

We're still to learn what you do for a living apart from owning 'many properties ' yeah right, I suppose there's a bit of money to be made in knocking up pallet furniture.

Tbh its none of your farking business…..stick to pole climbing

jowwy

I've every intention of sticking with rigging thanks, you planning on building any more sh*t in your garden I could do with a good laugh.

fark you racist prick…….go climb some poles, maybe one day you will fall and knock some sense into yourself And i hope a refugee, immigrant or asylum seeker refuses to fark treat you.

Im starting to believe that you and @AndyRM are the same person.

Last edited:
Top Bottom