Trans athletes in sport....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chromatic

Spain cheated in the 2000 Paralympics basketball tournament, I don't suppose they'd have been too concerned about probity in selections for other sports then too.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Craig; if the Paralympics has struggled on for 60 years despite the issues around categories, why can't regular sport do the same?
The proof has been - as they say - in the pudding!
You are aiming at the wrong analogy. A more accurate one would be a fully sighted and able-bodied athlete self-identifying as a blind person and demanding entry to the para-games. I reckon there would be uproar, but if that is how they identify, then why not?

icowden

Legendary Member
You are aiming at the wrong analogy. A more accurate one would be a fully sighted and able-bodied athlete self-identifying as a blind person and demanding entry to the para-games. I reckon there would be uproar, but if that is how they identify, then why not?
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/o...isabled-win-Paralympic-gold-guilty-fraud.html
https://www.si.com/olympics/2020/03/03/paralympiccheating
There is a cheating epidemic within the Paralympic movement, Long and her allies say, an outbreak of para-athletes who are faking or playing up the significance of their disabilities to be grouped with less able-bodied competitors, making it easier to win medals—and money and influence. While para-sport cheating is not new—Spain was stripped of its intellectual disability gold medals from the 2000 Games after nearly all the team’s players were found to have no disability, and allegations have been levied in para-track and field—the furor around swimming has grown so intense that, heading into the 2020 Games this summer in Tokyo, it threatens to tear the sport apart.

matticus

Guru
Now *I*'m confused! Did you think I was talking about letting people choose their own category (presumably simply by "self-identifying" as ... whatever).

(I don't think Nicole Cooke was suggesting that.)

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I think it is very easy to argue that in a lot of cases, the metal health of a person means that hormone therapy is a medical necessity - denying people that seems wrong. I guess it comes back to what is most important sport or mental health, even though sport often is a great way of achieving good mental health.
Not saying I support the idea, but…. Don’t quite understand the use of “denying”, surely, it is giving a choice, ie, take the treatment and don’t compete in a given group, or, don’t take the treatment, and do compete in that group.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
What on earth would happen then?

Categories by birth gender athletes, 4'-5', 5'1-5'9", 5'9"-6'8. Tall and thin athletes, tall and fat athletes, trans men who are left handed, trans women who are tall, quite fat and right handed. Trans men who wear glasses, are quite thin, but not fast enough to run in the trans men who wear glasses and are quite thin, but are really fast category.

What is wrong with fit, fruity boys and girls in lycra just doing their thing?

What, all together? How risqué

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
That second news article on the Paralympics is very interesting. 10 classifications, with athletes put up or down a class if they demonstrate a deterioration in their disability or get better. Also seems to be an incentive to do poorly when qualifying in order to get in an easier class. Shows why 'Women' and 'Open' is the best way to resolve the transgender issue. Clear boundaries, doesn't involve monitoring so people won't feel pressured to lower testosterone, and preserves safety and fairness.

matticus

Guru
Yeah I know, I was trying to explain that to @matticus
As I said: I'm aware there are issues! But do you think that because of those issues, paralympic sport should be disbanded? Are you saying it is a terrible idea because of the cheating - and they'd be better off in the "Open" category, as this is easier to enforce?

icowden

Legendary Member
That second news article on the Paralympics is very interesting. 10 classifications, with athletes put up or down a class if they demonstrate a deterioration in their disability or get better. Also seems to be an incentive to do poorly when qualifying in order to get in an easier class. Shows why 'Women' and 'Open' is the best way to resolve the transgender issue. Clear boundaries, doesn't involve monitoring so people won't feel pressured to lower testosterone, and preserves safety and fairness.
Although even then there are issues. See Caster Semenya. This is an interesting article about her (I disagree with it but it is still worth a read).

https://theconversation.com/ten-eth...-semenya-decision-on-intersex-in-sport-116448

The gist is that because she was assigned female at birth and was raised as a women she should be allowed to compete as a woman because she is a woman. However she likely has XY chromosomes and in the most common version of DSD she is likely to be effectively male with internal testicles and no womb or ovaries but have an external genital appearance of female - hence her superlative performance over XX women.

Perhaps the best definition of biological segregation is to go back to biological. XX vs XY?

Mr Celine

Shows why 'Women' and 'Open' is the best way to resolve the transgender issue. Clear boundaries, ...
But transwomen are women.

The two categories have to be 'female' and 'open' with having a Y chromosome excluding competitors from the former category.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
I think we'll have to disagree that transwomen are women. That would be a topic for another thread. Regardless, they can call it 'Female' if they like. I doubt the title will make it any more palatable to trans activists.

Although even then there are issues. See Caster Semenya.
Perhaps the best definition of biological segregation is to go back to biological. XX vs XY?

I think the difficulties around athletes with DSD's, or Intersex as it's more commonly called, are very different from those concerning transgender athletes. These are medical conditions, which in developing countries like Africa often don't come to light until puberty. They would have been picked up sooner in the West. You can't help but feel sorry for athletes like Castor Semenya, raised as girls but who are biological males. The current rules mean Semenya can run in the 200m, where there is assumed to be no advantage from their high testosterone levels, but cannot run in the 400m or above because there is a presumed advantage.

Where the issue does overlap with the trans athlete issue is that lowered levels of testosterone are not the defining factor in performance. Semenya has benefited from the physical gains of male puberty and these remain regardless of testosterone levels later on.

That article is interesting but I disagree because it comes down to feelings being more important than fairness. The author's solution - let biological women 'dope' until they reach the same level of testosterone as transwomen seems bonkers.

Last edited:

Rusty Nails

Country Member
As I said: I'm aware there are issues! But do you think that because of those issues, paralympic sport should be disbanded? Are you saying it is a terrible idea because of the cheating - and they'd be better off in the "Open" category, as this is easier to enforce?
Paralympics were set up to allow people with disabilities and physical impairments to compete with their peers in a way that takes into account the impact of the ranges of disability/impairment. It is necessarily complex because of the wide range of impairments, and sadly can be subject to abuse by some unscrupulous countries and individuals.

Trans women are not impaired or disabled by their status, and I am sure would be insulted by the suggestion, so why would sports want to introduce extra categories, complications and opportunities for cheating if they do not have to. Trans women may be disadvantaged by not being able to compete in female sport but they are not disabled or impaired, and if the relatively small number eligible were free to compete in female sport immediately on transition then they would in all probability disadvantage a huge number of females.

Top Bottom