By-election

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Ian H

Ian H

Guru
Poll cards have arrived.

icowden

Legendary Member
Not that I can vote in this but I'd rather pull my toenails out with pliers than vote for the Lib Dems. Their "coalition" was an absolute joke and the 180 on tuition fees was a disgrace.
So you would prefer to return a Conservative MP?

The choice is between voting Lib Dem and not having a Conservative MP or voting for anyone else and having a Conservative MP. Tiverton has been Tory since 1880. They aren't about to vote Labour.

There are 8 candidates. None of these candidates has a prayer of winning. Votes for them will therefore be in favour of the Conservative Candidate:-
  • Jordan Donoghue-Morgan, Heritage Party
  • Andy Foan - Reform UK
  • Liz Pole - Labour
  • Frankie Rufolo - The For Britain Movement
  • Ben Walker - UK Independence Party
  • Gill Westcott - Green Party
That leaves:-
  • Richard Foord - Liberal Democrats
  • Helen Hurford - Conservative
Thus if you don't support Boris and the Tories you would be best advised to vote for Richard Foord. Instead of spending your time thinking why you don't like the Lib Dems, decide whether you like them more or less than Boris and his cronies.

The Conservative / Lib Dem coalition wasn't great and yes the Lib Dems made a huge blunder, but it was nowhere near as bad as the current shower.

The LDs made the error of assuming that their four main policies were the ones to focus on: raising the income tax allowance, introducing the pupil premium, electoral reform, and the environment, and they ignored polling which suggested that Tuition fees was actually felt to be much more important than those - they also felt that pupil premium was less regressive than the Tuition fees promise.

But it doesn't matter. Do you want the tin pot dictator to have more power or less. That's what it comes down to.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Exactly. Any vote for a candidate other than the LDs is going to add to the Tory majority. If you can square increasing the Tory majority with the rather self-indulgent pleasure of sticking it to the LDs then, whatever floats your boat I suppose.

Of course none of this would matter if we weren't stuck with FPTP, which Labour and the Tories seem to love, and only the LDs had the backbone to try to do something about.

AndyRM

Elder Goth

The choice is between voting Lib Dem and not having a Conservative MP or voting for anyone else and having a Conservative MP. Tiverton has been Tory since 1880. They aren't about to vote Labour.

There are 8 candidates. None of these candidates has a prayer of winning. Votes for them will therefore be in favour of the Conservative Candidate:-
  • Andy Foan - Reform UK
  • Liz Pole - Labour
Thus if you don't support Boris and the Tories you would be best advised to vote for Richard Foord. Instead of spending your time thinking why you don't like the Lib Dems, decide whether you like them more or less than Boris and his cronies.

The Conservative / Lib Dem coalition wasn't great and yes the Lib Dems made a huge blunder, but it was nowhere near as bad as the current shower.

The LDs made the error of assuming that their four main policies were the ones to focus on: raising the income tax allowance, introducing the pupil premium, electoral reform, and the environment, and they ignored polling which suggested that Tuition fees was actually felt to be much more important than those - they also felt that pupil premium was less regressive than the Tuition fees promise.

But it doesn't matter. Do you want the tin pot dictator to have more power or less. That's what it comes down to.

No, I wouldn't, but as I said I can't vote in the area so it's irrelevant. If the choice came down to Lib Dems or Tories I'd put my personal dislike for them aside and vote Lib Dem.

And do my usual of saying, as loudly as possible, "I'm so glad I was able to vote for the *insert wildly inappropriate candidate's party here* again. They're what Britain needs in these difficult times." as I left the polling station.

D

Deleted member 49

• Andy Foan - Reform UK
  • Liz Pole - Labour

Have the Lib dems and Labour said they'll each step aside in other seats to assist each other ? Just wondering why Labour would step aside here....I thought Labour beat the Lib Dems here in the last few elections ?

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Have the Lib dems and Labour said they'll each step aside in other seats to assist each other ? Just wondering why Labour would step aside here....I thought Labour beat the Lib Dems here in the last few elections ?

They tend to frame it rather euphemistically in terms of resource allocation and the like. The Lib Dems will also in some seats for example, target Tory held wards which are unlikely to vote Labour, which does in fact increase Labour's chances of winning the seat overall.

D

Deleted member 49

They tend to frame it rather euphemistically in terms of resource allocation and the like. The Lib Dems will also in some seats for example, target Tory held wards which are unlikely to vote Labour, which does in fact increase Labour's chances of winning the seat overall.
So that's a no.

D

Deleted member 49

Vote Lib Dems !
Screenshot_20220531-184849.png

OP
OP
Ian H

Ian H

Guru

They did, when the LDs were at their least popular. However, realistically, there is a ceiling to the Labour vote, whereas the small-c conservative majority might be persuaded towards a protest vote if nothing better. All guesswork, mind.

D

Deleted member 49

They did, when the LDs were at their least popular. However, realistically, there is a ceiling to the Labour vote, whereas the small-c conservative majority might be persuaded towards a protest vote if nothing better. All guesswork, mind.
I thought the point of Labour under Starmer and there jump to the right was to appeal to the likes of the Tory voters in places like this ?
Utterly depressing politics....were doomed !

OP
OP
Ian H

Ian H

Guru
I thought the point of Labour under Starmer and there jump to the right was to appeal to the likes of the Tory voters in places like this ?
Utterly depressing politics....were doomed !
Down here the rougher the pub the more likely it is to be filled with Tory voters.

Top Bottom